3rd row power seating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd row power seating

Mark07 Mountaineer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Mercury mountaineer
2007 mountaineer with power third row seating stuck in down position. I have done a limited amount of Internet research and appears to be latch assemblies and quite expensive. I am new to this forum and was wondering if there is a dyi thread or photos anywhere. I haven't found one yet on here but it appears this is a common problem and figured it has previously been addressed. Thanks

I had to do this just this past summer. When you press the button, the motor turns on, but the seat doesnt move correct? Im guessing its the drivers side seat, as they are the most common. I ended up removing the whole 3rd row seat assembly to fix. Wasnt hard to remove at all. There is a gear where the shaft and motor meet that strips out and doesnt let the seat move. I removed the motor and welded a socket to the end of the shaft and use a ratch to raise the seat when I need it. Total time for not knowing what I was doing, was about 4 hrs with basic handtools. Borrowed a grinder and had next door neighbor do the welding. Think I used a 11mm 3/8 drive. Sorry, doing this from memory.

I couldnt find pictures or video anywhere, when I did it. I got the idea to weld socket from somewhere on here, I think.

Try searching "3rd row rear seat motor".

I also had to replace the drivers side 3rd row seat motor. There was a large thread several years ago with lots of details and pics.

Back