• Register Today It's free!

3rd Row Seat Question

BOATRDAV

Reaction score
City, State
BARTLETT ILLINOIS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8
I am getting ready to order a 07 explorer. We really don't like the 3rd seat and have absolutely no use for it. I would like to know if people that don't use it order it anyway. Even with it holded down it has too many open areas to lose something. For my use I like the flat storage area. I also can't see spending money for something that will never be used. I looked at the Mountaineer and it can't be ordered with a v-8 and no 3rd seat so we scrubbed the Mountaineer also the dealer flat put lied to me about their so called 18" aluminum wheels that were actually the clad covers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I rarely use the 3rd row seat but it has come in handy when my kids want to bring friends along. What I don't like is it takes up the extra room under the cargo area for storage. I have no place to put my trailer hitch when I take it out. The Quad bucket seats option in the second row are real nice but are only available with the 3rd row. As nice as the powered 3rd row is, based on my usage so far I would not get it again only because it was an expensive option I could live without.

I too have the third row option and can count on one hand the number of times I have used it in the last year. I bought mine in a hurry so there wasn't time to search out what I wanted (limited, V8, tow pkg, 18") and all of the ltd's in my area had the 3rd row. Agree w/ 06eddie, no place to put my hitch...

I ordered without the third row seats and the two storage areas I have in back under the cargo floor are very handy.

Thanks for the replies I have been watching the newer explorers and I really can't say I have seen anyone using the 3rd seat. The dealers act like the vehicle is useless without it but I have never seen one used. For us we would never use it and I can't see spending the money on it.

I ordered without the third row seats and the two storage areas I have in back under the cargo floor are very handy.

I second that comment!!

Think about re-sale though, a lot of people with kids are looking for used Explorers with the 3rd row. I know my wife wanted it, so we got it. And I've actually used mine quite a bit. Not for long trips though, just to go get something to eat, movies, ect....

Think about re-sale though, a lot of people with kids are looking for used Explorers with the 3rd row. I know my wife wanted it, so we got it. And I've actually used mine quite a bit. Not for long trips though, just to go get something to eat, movies, ect....

Point taken, but if you are hardly (if ever) going to use it... cost of fuel due to the weight of all of the seat assembly, plus IF that motor/switches fail due to rare use, i would say no thanks, plus it's about $1K option i think

I bought my truck off the lot and it just so happened to have the 3rd row seats. I leave them up to keep the junk from sliding around in the back. When I have groceries, I flip one down.

I ordered my 07 so I didn't have to have the $1500 3rd row seat.
Never use it - like the flat area to store stuff.
Hard to find one on the lots without it though.

Yeah, I just got mine off the lot.. we did ALOT of shopping around and I can't recall seeing a single model without the 3rd row. I would of skipped it myself as well, as it adds some holes to the back... and now I realize I dont have anywere to hide my amps.

Ive got a 2007 EB with third row seat ive also owned a 2002 and a 2005 with the third row ive got 4 kids and use the seat. I always fold them down to go shopping just bought a 46 inch LCD and it fit inside just fine with the seat folded down. My 2002 and 2005 3rd row seamed to me to have more surface area when folded down but a cargo liner for a explorer without the 3rd row fits over the seat just fine.

Our '07 has the 3rd row seat and we've actually used it for children AND adults! It's nice to have the ability to consolidate in to one car when possible versus multiple drivers. Also as stated above, the resale value is positive too.

Those of you concerned about the holes that the 3rd row seat makes, I would just consider getting a trunk liner. (I am considering the same as I keep the 3rd row folded down the majority of the time.

Our used 2006 did not come with the 3rd seat. We thought no big deal since the kids are grown. Several times we wish it was there:

1: Kids do come home from time to time, and it is nice to go all in one car (with their friends)
2: Having room for adult friends would be nice.
3: The minimal space available under the floor cover is not useful for anything, we have never used it.

There is one aspect of the third row seat to think about. The rear A/C sure is nice on hot days. It cools the interior way faster than just the front A/C alone. And, you can't get the rear A/C without the 3rd row seat. Downside. It is heavy and adds more mechanicals to the explorer. While I don't generally use the 3rd seat, in the 90+ degree days of summer here in CA's central valley, the added A/C cooling sure is nice.
Bill W

Yeah, go with the 3rd row and the cargo liner for all the reasons above. It also lets you put things back there (dirty car parts) without worrying about getting the carpet dirty. Most have a lip around the edge to catch any accidental spills. I thought I would never need the 3rd row either, but I've used it quite a bit.

Back