• Register Today It's free!

confused about headers...

beenwrong2002

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
I know hardly anything when it comes to engines, except how to check the oil...I keep reading how headers are one of the best things you can do to the 4.0 ohv for better performance (riight?? lol). Does the engine already have stock headers and ur just replacing them with "performance" headers or is it just a brand new part thats being introduced to the motor? Also what exacly do headers do? Also I head getting an "underdrive pulley" gives you performance also? do they have like a underdrive pulley kit that comes w/ everthing you need? I know these are noob questions but im a slower learner i guess :help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I've read, the underdrive pulleys are your best bang for your buck mod, followed by the E-fan, tune, headers, intake and exhaust. Not sure on the order of those, as far as performance goes. But most agree that the underdrive pulleys are one of the best things you can do without getting a tune. If you have the money for them, go ahead and get them. There is a set of pulleys made for the OHV and SOHC, I just can't remember who makes them.

From what I've read, the underdrive pulleys are your best bang for your buck mod, followed by the E-fan, tune, headers, intake and exhaust. Not sure on the order of those, as far as performance goes. But most agree that the underdrive pulleys are one of the best things you can do without getting a tune. If you have the money for them, go ahead and get them. There is a set of pulleys made for the OHV and SOHC, I just can't remember who makes them.

+1
Headers are good on the 4.0's. The 5.0's are the ones who benefit from it the most. Exhaust, intake, tune, UD pulleys, efan are the best in that order. The balancer alone is going to run you $245 on the UD pulley so its expensive.

see-
buy a rolled v-8 and have a swap party.
I seriously believe this could be accomplished for a total out of 500.00 after you part out what you have-sell your engine-trans , extra parts from donor ect.

This will give you more power out of the box than the 4.0 ever thought of having. Even with over 1k in mods the 4.0 ohv is going to be anemic compared to a stock v8

you'll also gain a much MUCH more reliable transmission.

I Also I head getting an "underdrive pulley" gives you performance also? do they have like a underdrive pulley kit that comes w/ everthing you need? I know these are noob questions but im a slower learner i guess :help:

UDPs are probably the best bang for the buck you can get.

Take a look at the install of mine at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1377150#post1377150 and http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1394998#post1394998

is this all i need for the underdrive pulley http://www.stuffforyourranger.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=40&zenid=8e6150bd0d4de7ce2c7a9aab790e2963

also anybody have a link to the headers i would use on my 4.0 ohv

you should order your pullys from james at hensonperformance.com hes a forum member (all though hes really busy with work right now) he will make sure you have everything you need for you 4.0. hes a bit of an expert on them, considering i think hes got the fastest 4.0 explorer on the site.

maybe i just should give up...i dont know enough to figure out what i actually need :(

yes thanks guys....i just want more UMPH from my explorer. headers and this underdrive pulley along with cold air intake, throttle body, etc is what I wanna do slowly. I wana start out with an underdrive pulley

http://hensonperformance.com/Productsften.html

do I need all that other stuff on that webpage or just whats labled "526400 Underdrive pulley* $255 "

Again, it depends on what you want. If you want the ultimate, then underdrive the crank and water pump.

Again, it depends on what you want. If you want the ultimate, then underdrive the crank and water pump.

thats a lot of money...maybe I should just save up to get a 5.0 dropped in and then go from there

Horsepower isn't cheap. The UDP is the best bang for the buck.

I wonder if there's a chart telling which accessory takes #hp away.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes thanks guys....i just want more UMPH from my explorer. headers and this underdrive pulley along with cold air intake, throttle body, etc is what I wanna do slowly. I wana start out with an underdrive pulley

http://hensonperformance.com/Productsften.html

do I need all that other stuff on that webpage or just whats labled "526400 Underdrive pulley* $255 "

I really don't think they are that much, you should really call james at his shop to get an exact anwser to what you need

Back