• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV Bama Chips rough running

burre

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Forks, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I have a 2000 Explorer XLT with a 4.0 OHV. I just recieved the XCal2 from Bama Chips. With any of the 3 modified program, the engine idles and runs very rough. It sounds as if it is only running on 4 cylinders. Also, it does not want to pull past about 2500-3000 rpms in gear. By the way, it has an auto trans. It runs perfectly normal with the stock tune.

Is it possible I got programming for the sohc or 5.0? Otherwise, is there something else I can try? I pulled the fuel pump fuse like the directions said. Would it help to disconnect the battery after installing the Bama Chips tune to reset anything?

Thanks alot!

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would contact Bama chips directly about your problem. they could try to email you some new tunes for you to load onto the Xcal2 to see if it fixes the problem. It is possible you got the wrong programs. They will take care of it for you though.

Welcome to the site. My aunt and uncle from grand forks are visiting us this weekend. It is a bit of a drive between there and here.

I agree with what 99SportX said. Bama will work with you to solve the problem. I had some problematic tunes for my 5.0 that were solved via email. I also ran an experimental mileage tune that would throw a code now and again and we also solved it that way too. Therein lies the beauty of using a flasher. If you were running a chip, you'd need to send it back to be re-burned.

Thanks for confirming I may have got a bum program. I agree that this is the nice thing about the flasher. My friend who is a Mustang enthusiast also got this for his Expedition.

And Duluth isn't so long a drive, I just got back from Milwaukee where I visited my family. I had to drive through those bad storms on Thursday. 630 miles of wind and rain.

I just got back from Milwaukee where I visited my family. I had to drive through those bad storms on Thursday. 630 miles of wind and rain.

I'm hoping the weather in Beertown is nice in 3 weeks time. We're visiting the outlaws and doing Summerfest. :chug:

Yeah, the atmosphere was pretty wild on Thursday. Lots of rain and thunder storms all over MN and surrounding states.

Back