• Register Today It's free!

Another Happy BAMA tuner user

gto78

Reaction score
City, State
stuart, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB 2wd v-6
K guys, today I got my first round of fun with an SCT XCalibrator 2 tuner on my 98 explorer. I bought 3 custom tunes from Doug at BAMA chips. He wrote an 87 octane economy tune, 87 octane performance tune, and 93 octane economy tune. He custom tuned it to meet the very minor mods I've done to the truck such as tire size, air filter etc.

The programmer lets me adjust the idle speed which made a HUGE day and night difference when waiting at a red light on a steep hill where the truck used to roll backwards. It lets me adjust ignition timing at all different RPM points, it lets me choose what speed to shift into each gear, it lets me change the rev limiter in drive and neutral, lets me increase the transmission line pressure, and also the wide open throttle A/F ratio. I haven't tried the performance tune yet, but this economy tune is already a great improvement. I'll give updates on the other tunes soon.:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got my XC2 from Doug as well. The real fun is with the high octane tunes. Enjoy.

what do ya mean, are there more options? Does it actually make more power to be noticeable?

+1 on the high octane tunes

I got the 93 octane torque tune and love it from Doug

+1 on the high octane tunes

I got the 93 octane torque tune and love it from Doug

My 87 tunes are better than stock but nothing amazing. Shift points are definitely nicer. Doug admitted to me that there is only so much you can do with 87. 91 tunes are a step above for sure. I have both the 91 Torque and Performance tunes and favour the latter, but I do like them both. Much more aggressive feel over stock and 87. Only downside is fuel cost, but I've been using premium for so long that I don't even notice it now. I also drive harder which doesn't help my mileage either. :D

I can get 100 pump unleaded octane in my area. What do you think they could do?

Probably max out your timing curve and mixture. I can get 100 octane avgas, but it's leaded... can only run once in a while or else it shorts out the oxygen sensors with lead, and eventually plugs the converters.

Back