How to: - 4.0 OHV Refresh | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 4.0 OHV Refresh

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
That balancer in Thread Post #39 is fine for a Truck Engine - Pimp it out with some Black Krylon / rattle can and move on!

Used 4.0 OHV Harmonic Balancer Bolt: - it's not an issue to re-use the used harmonic balancer bolt.

Hundreds if not thousands have been reused here on this forum, over on the Ranger Station 4.0 forum, Ranger Power Sports 4.0 forum, Ford Trucks 4.0 forum, etc....

Due to having to replace my timing cover gasket twice, I removed my harmonic balancer bolt twice and got 215,000 miles out of it :cool:

Seriously -that bolt is such a frickin' heavy duty over kill that after we have WW3 w/ the ChiComs
all that will be left roaming the terra firma will be NYC ****roaches and Used 4.0 Ford OHV Harmonic Balancer Bolts...

DSCN2350.JPG

DSCN2353.JPG

DSCN2354.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Timing cover is off!
20220102_172650.jpg

Now to begin lots of cleanup...

^^^^ What is the current mileage associated w/ this pic in Post #42?
Update - OK - went back and re-read your post and it says your Ex's engine has 260K.

The reason I asked the question is because as soon as I saw your posted pic, I saw that your hyd. timing chain tensioner is at it's limit.

BELOW: Here's 2 pics of mine at 165K.

When I went back in at 200K to re-replace the timing cover gasket, it all looked the same.

DSCN2366.JPG

DSCN2367.JPG

^^^^ What is the current mileage associated w/ this pic in Post #42?
Update - OK - went back and re-read your post and it says your Ex's engine has 260K.

The reason I asked the question is because as soon as I saw your posted pic, I saw that your hyd. timing chain tensioner is at it's limit.

BELOW: Here's 2 pics of mine at 165K.

When I went back in at 200K to re-replace the timing cover gasket, it all looked the same.

View attachment 425113

View attachment 425114
Nice catch

That is a great catch! I suppose that warrents a new chain at least -- should I get a new tensioner and timing gears too?

When your shoes wear out, you buy... ;)
When I talk timing chains, CLOYES is the brand that I gravitate to...
HTH -

Rock Auto
Cloyes 94172SA = $59.79

5% Discount Code: 468AE31E200D6D
Expires: January 19, 2022

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

9-4172SA__ra_p.jpg

That whole kit for only $60!... score

I had good luck with Cloyes parts on my '97 SOHC, so I'll go the full set replacement route. It looks to me that the labor involved will be the same either way.

Can the lower sprocket be removed with the oil pan installed (aka engine in the vehicle? And what's the best way to hold everything still when I undo the camshaft sprocket bolt?

Hey y'all. I have not given up on this refresh and have been spending much of my free time cleaning old parts and fasteners over the last couple of weeks. If we can get a weekend above freezing in Wisconsin, I'll be back in the garage cleaning the engine to get it prepped for reassembly.

One lingering item is my alternator. The truck came with a remanufactured Motorcraft unit and I have no clue how long ago it was installed. I never experienced charging issues and the shaft has no noticeable bearing play, but there is a chirping sound whenever the shaft is spun (by the belt or by hand). I'm looking for input as to whether I should:
1. Run it until I experience issues beyond noise.
2. Disassemble, clean, and replace bearings only.
3. Rebuild the whole alternator using a kit.
4. Replace the alternator with a new or remanufactured one.

Thanks for any suggestions!

:popcorn:

Hey y'all. I have not given up on this refresh and have been spending much of my free time cleaning old parts and fasteners over the last couple of weeks. If we can get a weekend above freezing in Wisconsin, I'll be back in the garage cleaning the engine to get it prepped for reassembly.

One lingering item is my alternator. The truck came with a remanufactured Motorcraft unit and I have no clue how long ago it was installed. I never experienced charging issues and the shaft has no noticeable bearing play, but there is a chirping sound whenever the shaft is spun (by the belt or by hand). I'm looking for input as to whether I should:

Replace the brushes. I installed a AutoZone Gold lifetime warranty.

I'd let the brushes break in and then see
I've been here
If you do decide to disassemble your altenator apart
Take a picture of the brushes for me please

I may have missed something...Are you removing the engine to service all 3 of the timing chains, guides and tensioners? If you haven't experienced a failure at 260K you may not be far from it. My neighbors 2003 Explorer Sort Trac 4.0 SoHC had a timing chain/guide failure at 195.000 miles.

I may have missed something...Are you removing the engine to service all 3 of the timing chains, guides and tensioners? If you haven't experienced a failure at 260K you may not be far from it. My neighbors 2003 Explorer Sort Trac 4.0 SoHC had a timing chain/guide failure at 195.000 miles.
He has the OHV engine, not the crappy SOHC.

OIC, that's what I had missed. The OHVs are iron dukes. Late last year I sold our plum '94. The OHV had 333,334 miles on it and still going.

Thanks guys, I may take the alternator apart a bit and see what I find -- I'll post some pics.

And to clarify, yes, I'm currently working on my 2000 Sport with a 4.0 OHV with ~260k miles and the engine is still in the vehicle.

This vehicle is the replacement for my 1997 4.0 SOHC XLT that I ended up scrapping last summer. FWIW, that SOHC had over 200k on it with only routine maintenance and it ran great -- never even a hint of a timing chain issue. Personally, I liked a lot about the SOHC, I just got tired of 5R55E problems.

Thanks guys, I may take the alternator apart a bit and see what I find -- I'll post some pics.

And to clarify, yes, I'm currently working on my 2000 Sport with a 4.0 OHV with ~260k miles and the engine is still in the vehicle.

This vehicle is the replacement for my 1997 4.0 SOHC XLT that I ended up scrapping last summer. FWIW, that SOHC had over 200k on it with only routine maintenance and it ran great -- never even a hint of a timing chain issue. Personally, I liked a lot about the SOHC, I just got tired of 5R55E problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for that very helpful video!

I pulled out the brush holder and looked inside:
20220201_204307.jpg

Looks like decent wear but not bad if I understood the video.

Here are the brushes:
20220201_204351.jpg

They also looked okay to me.

With the brushes out, I spun the shaft and didn't hear any noise -- I guess what I was hearing was just the brushes scraping the slip ring. Is it normal for that to make a pronounced chirping sound? If so, I'll just clean everything and reassemble.

The rebuild process definitely looks like something I'd be happy to do if/when I need to in the future!

Back