4.0 ohv v-6 needs head gaskets,help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 ohv v-6 needs head gaskets,help!

joe doe

Reaction score
City, State
slatington,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ex sport 4.0 ohv
well it seems ive had this long enough that it needs a head gasket on the passenger side .
of course we will do both sides and every gasket in between but here lies the questions.
i see head gasket kits on ebay very cheap ..like 65.00 bucks including the bolts.
now autozone has a head gasket kit (all fel pro)for like 160.00 and another kit for 200.00(dont know the difference yet)
now i havent called ford yet either .
i guess what i,m asking is ...should i go with the fel pro kit?
i think if i try to save money and use a ebay kit i,m gonna regret it right?lol...

so who has used what with good results?
and what all needs to be replaced during this job?
i see the kits come with valve seals too...are these usually replaced during a head gasket install?
i have a trusted mechanic who will do this for me .
he said its about a 500.00 dollar labor charge .i just bring my own parts and he just charges labor .
this sound like a fair price to you??never had to do one of these befor .
any and all help is appreciated.thanks.

and this comes just after a 311.00 inspection bill too.new lower ball joints,new front brake pads,oil change and trans fluid change.

cheaper to keep her?2000 ex sport with 4.0 ohv engine with 126,000 on the clock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

I would go with the Fel-Pro kit. As with aything else, you get what you pay for. This is something you don't want to do twice.

I would also have him do the valve stem seals. The heads will be off the truck, on a bench anyways and they are included in the kit. Yes, do the seals.

$500 for labor seems very reasonable to me. I am sure he knows this but just make sure your mechanic checks the heads for warpage as well.

Check on Rockauto.com for your gasket set- you might get FelPro quality for a lot less...

thanks guys .....
not 100%sure its the head .i thought it looked like it might be so i gave the mechanic a heads up and he said yeah the head gasket when i picked it up.
i wanna have a better look at it .
the stuff is washing down the passenger side of the motor .if its just the intake gasket i can save some money .but not knowing if they looked properly makes me wonder about this .

what about this dye you can put in your fluid?which ones can be seen without a black light??
is this a good idea to do ?
what about additives like bars leaks or similar?i read some stories of guys getting away with just doing the bars leaks thing .

Back