4.0 SHOC life expectantcy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SHOC life expectantcy

njlarry

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Bauer
Hello All,
I have 2004 Explorer with 223,000 miles on it. The timing chain can only be heard on initial start up for a few seconds, and the engine runs smoothly otherwise.
How much longer can I reasonably expect this engine to last? The only other issue is the wheel hubs are overdue for replacement. The trans was rebuilt last year.
Thank you for your thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say if you have never serviced any of the timing component then you're already on borrowed time. I just bought a 01 Ranger 4.0 SOHC with 216k miles where the timing guides broke. I decided just to replace the engine. There were chunks of plastic pieces in the oil pan and clogged in the oil pickup screen and I'm sure the motor was starved for oil because of it. If you are hearing timing chain rattle at start-up then some pieces could already potentially be broken. If you want your engine to last, you should probably go ahead and replace it.

There is a really good write-up on this forum on how to do it yourself, just be warned in order to service the passenger side the engine or transmission has to be removed.

You could always just keep driving it until it finally does fail and put a used engine in. I purchased one with 138k miles off of EBay for $785 shipped.

If the tensioners are simply losing pressure after long periods of rest, causing rattle at startup and this hasn't been going on too long, your probably in good shape.

Pull the engine, replace all the timing components and expect at least 300k out of it.

If you don't fix it now, you may get another year, you may get another week, before catastrophic failure.

If you can't do the work yourself, sell the vehicle and get another, but with the 4.6l.
Replacing the engine and paying someone to do it, will cost way more than the vehicles worth.

Thank you for all the help. I should have specified that I have the 4.0 sohc 6 cyl.
Would replacing the two tensioners that are accessible from the outside help?
I quess I can't get use to the idea that good cars end up in the junk yard just because of timing chains as most all engines have them. Was the v 8 any better?
Car runs great and is not burning oil but I don't want to be stranded on a long trip.

It could, but if they are broke already it wont do anything. It could pop tomorrow and it could pop in a few years. Driver till she blows if she is paid for.

The V8 is certainly more fun to drive.
The V8 has similar timing issues. The difference is that it's all at the front of the engine and can be fixed with the engine in the car.

Ex's with the 4.0 SOHC are fine, but best to own them if you can do all the work yourself. Including pulling an engine. It's not a hard job, just perhaps time consuming (not that I've done it. Just saying it is more intimidating than it sounds. Right tools are key.) The kind of job a DIY'er does when they have another vehicle as a backup.

It could, but if they are broke already it wont do anything. It could pop tomorrow and it could pop in a few years. Driver till she blows if she is paid for.

This.

Mine is an 02 with 150,000 miles on it that I use primarily for commuting to and from work, about 35 miles a day.

After I bought it last winter, I inspected the guides, swapped the tensioners, including the main one and so far so good. I avoid jackrabbit starts, don't downshift, generally keep it under 3,000 RPM and change the oil every 3-5000 miles. If it grenades on the way home today or in 10 years, I'm not going to worry about it, just gonna drive it until that day.

Honestly, it really depends on your driving style.

My dad had a 2005 kia amanti with 200k. All it ever needed was brakes, tires, serpentine belt and pulleys, 4 new struts, and regular oil change. That car didn't owe us a dime. It had 3.5L DOHC V6 with a timing belt. We never touched it. The car ended in the scrap yard and after awhile someone took the intake and front head. The timing belt looked perfectly fine. You should do them every 90k along with the water pump. This was a factory 2005 belt with 200k over Texas summers and NY winters.

The last 100,000 miles on that car were spent driving 1hr and 15min each way to work. He would drive a mile to the highway, hit cruise at 75, then get off for a mile to work. Every day for 5 years straight. That is a very easy life on a car.

If you drive easy and consistent (a lot of highway) there is very little wear and tear done to cars. The fact you have over 200K on that car is great. Just be prepared for anything to happen and be happy with how it has treated you and lasted so long.

Back