4.0 SOHC Performance Cams | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Performance Cams

I have a '99 X w/ the 4.0 SOHC with 150k miles and may need to replace one of the cams. I couldn't help but wonder if the use of the 4.0 SOHC in the Mustang has led to someone making performance camshafts that will also fit my X.

I would be interested to hear from anyone that has swapped out their stock cams and is happy with the results. Also curious if the cam swap would require any other mods (computer, etc.).

My X is a daily driver, so nothing too radical is desired.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only availabe at this point is re-grinds and you'll need head work to make em work. I think you'll see better results by going with a power adder (Turbo...ect)

but, if you want to check it out, they're available at supersixmotorsports.com

There's a link up top (Sticky)

I was running the super six heads and cams. They woke the engine up but it still left more to be desired. Especially for the cost.

I've heard 30+ HP. does this sound correct?

Supersixmotorsports...
The cams cost around $575.00
The stage II heads are $1200.00

Let's say this gives you 40 HP. That's $44.375 / HP

Now compare that to a basic turbo kit for around $3500.00 which should give you (Estimated) 80 HP. That's $43.75 / HP

Heck, I guess that's not a bad deal after all?

But, if you had force induction planned, this probably wouldn't be the route to go.
The better route would be to upgrade the pistons to forged, get some better head bolts...ect and force feed it. Then you will kiss your tranny goodbye and need to upgrade it as well...and on....and on.....and on.

I've heard 30+ HP. does this sound correct?

Supersixmotorsports...
The cams cost around $575.00
The stage II heads are $1200.00

Let's say this gives you 40 HP. That's $44.375 / HP

Now compare that to a basic turbo kit for around $3500.00 which should give you (Estimated) 80 HP. That's $43.75 / HP

Heck, I guess that's not a bad deal after all?

But, if you had force induction planned, this probably wouldn't be the route to go.
The better route would be to upgrade the pistons to forged, get some better head bolts...ect and force feed it. Then you will kiss your tranny goodbye and need to upgrade it as well...and on....and on.....and on.

A turbo setup for the 4.0 SOHC will make one hell of allot more than 80 additional horsepower.

The stock tranny will hold some good power before having problems. The only reason James swapped was that he wanted to put more power to the ground. The stocker trans, properly kept up with good tuning and reasonable boost will be ok for a while.

I would go with the turbo kit it I were to do it again. The cost is fairly close and the power gains are substantially better.

Thanks for the good information all; a bit steep for my budget though. I'm suprised nobody has come out performance cams yet - oh well.

Man, what happended to the good old days when you could throw an intake, carb, headers and cam swap at a small block Chevy, crank up the ignition timing and make good power. Oops, I'm showing my age again...

Thanks for the good information all; a bit steep for my budget though. I'm suprised nobody has come out performance cams yet - oh well.

Man, what happended to the good old days when you could throw an intake, carb, headers and cam swap at a small block Chevy, crank up the ignition timing and make good power. Oops, I'm showing my age again...

... back when all long tube headers were $75, and wild custom Hooker headers would run $250. That's when I started also, when a 351C was king. Do the turbo and trans work, good luck.

Actually, my first build was a 350 chevy engine. Yes, I had all the goodies and paid maybe 3 grand for all of it? Heck, I'm there now with what I have in this 4.0 SOHC but it sure is fun doing it. You'll be surprised what you can get out of it WITHOUT going into the internals.

I'd do an intake (Not intake manifold) first, then get a better flowing muffler (Stay single exhaust with this engine) Then you could get a tune.

The heck with the cams (There's two of them) I'm not sure why noone has come out with cams? Probably becuase you can throw a turbo on it and get so much more out of the engine. THe days of building an ALL MOTOR car are almost done with. Force feed induction is where it's at now.

Patton - Because he's driving a heavy ex and he needs the low end torque. Also, the sound.

There's nothing dumb. The only problem with going TRUE duals is a number of people have done this and reported a loss in low end torque. It makes sense but you can go upto a 3" single and not loose anything. I'm pretty sure you could go dual from the single and be okay. In fact, I may do this in the future but that depends on the turbo install.

The key factor is the area of the pipes, the total area. A V8 can use dual pipes, at 2.5" each a 302 doesn't need that. The 4.0 V6's need so much piping area even less.

Make your outlet tips the size that you want, but keep the pipes between the cats and the tips conservative, for best power/efficiency. Stock is a single 2.25" pipe, so two of any size is too much for a stock V6. Pick your muffler(s) for sound, and the tips and tailpipes for looks. Regards,

I have stock pipes till my muffler, which is 2.5" dual out and then 3" tips. I got this catback on before I knew the type of muffler you got would affect performance, and the guy at the exhaust shop said he'd "put on what he has on his truck," so I said okay fine and since it sounded awesome when it was done I never questioned it. So basically I have a muffler on my explorer and I have no earthly clue what kind it is. Which is bad. But anyways my plan is to leave the pre-cats stock and remove the two cats after the exhaust combines into 1 pipe and replace those two cats with a freeflow. I thought this plan would be a good medium between flow/noise and backpressure/low-end torque. yay or nay?

I see no reason to change from the stock cats ( unless they are bad ).

Good luck ...

Back