• Register Today It's free!

4.0 v6 mpg..

blackout881

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddie Bauer 4.0
I bought a 2004 EB explorer 4x4 with the 4.0 in it a couple months ago. I was upgrading from a 98 5.0 V8 AWD. I was kind of excited to maybe save a little money in gas, but the gas mileage in the V6 is almost the same if not worse than my V8. The Highest ive ever gotten on the highway in the V6 is 18mpg, my V8 hit 21mpg a few times. Around the city i get 13-14 mpg, my V8 was around 14-15. Plugs are good, flushed tranny and differential, it runs great, I just cant understand why Im getting worse gas mileage with the v6 and the auto 4x4. I guess im just wondering if this is about the mpg that people are getting out of them? Could I do anything ot make it better? I drive with a VERY light foot also, and coast to stops. I towed a light fishing boat today 200 miles and averaged 15.3 mpg at 68 mph. Blah.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My experience has been that the sixes don't get much different mileage than the V8s. My 2WD 4.0 gets 15-18. Not a lot you can do to change that.

Hmm ok. Just wanted to make sure this is about the going mpg people are getting. Boy I miss my V8. Every time I got to a hill towing today i had to push it to about 4500-5k RPMS. My theory is the V6's have to work a lot harder than the V8's to pull the weight. When i was towing and just driving regularly in my v8 the rpms were always kept very low, I feel like im abusing this poor v6!

I think you are right about them working harder... but mine has been totally reliable. I'm at 190K now and I'd drive it anywhere. I love the 4.0.

my '02 V6 easily hits 21mpg on the highway averaging 65. Try changing your fuel filter.

i get terrible fuel economy 14mpg if i'm lucky, i think it is because to 4.0 is such a dog of a motor and is under powered for the car, i have bigger tires that doesnt help my economy but i think the 5.0 has enough power to move the vehical that it doesnt struggle with it so much... to much engine load for the 4.0

yeah, the transmission behind the 4.0 feels sketchy too. the 5.0 with the AWD tranny was a complete solid beast. I couldnt hurt that engine or transmission. With the 4.0 I was experiencing delayed shifts, felt like someone was pushing in a clutch and shifting gears like a standard. I got it flushed and oh my god, it shifts smoothly and fast now. Talk about a night and day difference. I cant believe the manual says to wait until 150k miles to flush the tranny...if you havnt done it before 150k, wouldnt you think a flush would be a little dangerous? lol. You have 190k on both original engine and trans??

You're on, my 2003 SOHC was in the mileage range you were in, when it was new to when I traded it in a year later. Mileage sucked. I get better mileage in my '97 V8.

try removing the intake silencer tube i was averaging about 300mi to a tank on my 02xls i removed and now im getting around 340 and i also noticed a huge power difference, it pulls hard all the way till it shifts. instead of pullin to about 3500 or 4000 and letting off till the tranny shifted. and also. it sounds really cool:D

Just got back from the beach yesterday. 330 miles one way. Got 22.25 on the tank down there, almost 19 there and 23 on the 330 mile return trip. Love my mileage! I have done the plugs, fuel filter and air filter. Also verified I had 35 psi in the tires before leaving. The simple stuff really pays off!

I agree with most of the posts here.

I have the 4.0 in my 2004, all stock. I rarely drive on the highway, but when I do, I can get upwards of 21 mpg. Otherwise, I'm in the 18 range, down closer to 15 when towing.

My uncle had a V8, said he got great mileage. Same theory about it not having to work as hard as the V6.

Mike

I get excellent mileage on the highway with my 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer V6, 22.5 at 70 mph. In the city, thats a completly different story, around 13-14.

the gas mileage in the V6 is almost the same if not worse than my V8.

We've had 4 explorers, two 6s and two 8s.....my experience is exactly like yours.

Further, I'm told by both Edge and Escape owners, who have had multiple Explorers, that they see no difference as well.

Trip from Texas to PA got about 22mpg (all highway). Last week we had our worst mileage ever due to nothing more than 2 mile trips (one tank lasted from May 3rd to April 3rd) at 11mpg. Normal 30/70 hwy/city mixed driving mileage is around 16mpg.

First I miss my '97 5.0 Limited. 200k, it had a nice run.

I have had a 02 4.6EB for a while now, only slightly better in city around 10 w/ everything that can be done.

For what it's worth the 02-05 police 4.0's got even worse but you have to consider the idle time & driver.

Wouldn't stray from an EXP 8 , so, I will take what I can get.

I usually get 20-21 on the hwy if im easy on her and set the cruise control and dont go above 65. If i am in a hurry and do 75-80 it drops to 18-19 mpg

I've recently dropped a K&N filter in the stock 4.0L box. I hadn't been keeping track of fuel mileage but I've noticed on increase in both power and miles per tank. I think the filter will soon pay for itself.

with my 05 V6, i do 95% of my driving stop an go traffic. the only mods i have done are...

Magnaflow muffler - K&N Airbox Mod...

i think my MPG display is broken, cause regardless if i reset the meter, i still get 12.8 MPG. I live in Philadelphia, and recently took a trip with 3 of my friends to Harrisburg. i burned a 1/4 tank, and traveled 132 miles.

no A/C, all windows down, sunroof open, average speed 76 MPH...

according to my basic math - 132 mi / 5.625 gal-fuel = 23.4 MPG

i was suprised to have made that kind of mileage. i really thought i was going to get about 18-19 or so with the weight + drag

quite suprised...

Caldwell, pretty good. I got about 140 out of slightly less than a 1/4 tank. My tire pressure is at max rated and I haven't made any mods other than a little maintenance this past year (fuel filter, iridium plugs, new plug wires and Seafoam treatment). I'm thinking about doing the mod on the TB spacer to take the fins out. I have an '04 V6 and have been pretty satisfied with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've put in 4 fill-ups since I got my '04 XLT V6 4wd and I've averaged between 19-20 combined. I've been happy overall with the mileage. I drive with a light foot and try to stay under 75 on the highway. It's not much worse than my old '08 Element, which was waaaay underpowered. I'm taking my first road trip this weekend, see how that goes.

Back