• Register Today It's free!

4.0 V6 studder/cut-out

Jaaron127

Reaction score
City, State
Joplin MO,
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
I have a 2008 Explorer XLT with the 4.0 V6 and 179,000 miles. Earlier this year it started studdering or cutting out at the low end of the higher gears. I can get it to quit if I give it enough gas to shift into the next lower gear. Per a friend's suggestion I replaced the coil pack, but that didn't solve the issue. It isn't throwing any codes that I am aware of (service engine light never comes on) so I hesitate to take it to a mechanic at this point.

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?. If it has been a while I would replace that first. When were the spark plugs replaced?.

Welcome to the forum. When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?. If it has been a while I would replace that first. When were the spark plugs replaced?.

I have no idea when anything was replaced. Just bought it a year ago. It did look like one of the spark plug wires had a bent post when I replaced the coil pack

One of best things I purchased for my ford was a obdlink mx and forscan lite for my phone. This is a situation where you could pull up a couple of data displays one being the misfire counter to see if its a mis or not.

This is the only way I found the miss on my car when it felt like a transmission problem. The car never threw a code for a miss on cylinder two. It was a dead miss too not miss here then fire a couple times then miss again it was 20 or thirty miss fires right in a row. To get rid of it I let off the gas and wouldn't come back for the rest of the day. Or so I though, my hard shift accelerating out of a curve at 40 ish mph was actually a single misfire on cylinder 2.

Enough with my story It might be a good idea to just replace the plugs, wires, and possibly fuel filter not knowing when they were last changed.

I'm thinking weak pump clogged filter
Do these trucks have a fuel pressure sensor will it set a code

I have a 2008 Explorer XLT with the 4.0 V6 and 179,000 miles. Earlier this year it started studdering or cutting out at the low end of the higher gears. I can get it to quit if I give it enough gas to shift into the next lower gear. Per a friend's suggestion I replaced the coil pack, but that didn't solve the issue. It isn't throwing any codes that I am aware of (service engine light never comes on) so I hesitate to take it to a mechanic at this point.

Any suggestions?
Get a new fuel pump. Mine is going bad and has the same symptoms, mostly only when it's cold outside. Intermittently the pump wont even turn on. I thought at first it was transmission slippage, but i held it in second gear and I could hear the misfire, but it set no codes.

My wife's 99 Sport last year when it was cold below 32° the pump would not work, if the temp was above 32° then it would operate.

Back