4.0L exhaust | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L exhaust

Thanks. Glad to see that resonators not on the exhaust.

So the two gibson exhaust for my X's are either
2.5" alumized with a 3" tip and its going for $343.00
2.5" Stainless with a 3" tip and **** going for $443.00

Any ideas of which to go with?
Stainless will probably will hold up better from weathering, and may sound better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stainless, without question...

aluminized will rust and corode over time, which will cause you to have to spend more money on the exhaust later...

From what I've learned the aluminium version is fine as long as you spray it first to protect from rust. Honestly I might just drop the extra money on a stainless version for the extra comfort.

I wouldn't want to swap my exhaust out. Just one for the whole time I own the truck. IMO, its worth the extra hundred or so to go with stainless piping. The way my muffler and exhaust rusting up I think its life is limited. They say its stainless piping but seems to me only stainless from the muffler back.

but consider this, you could have a custom exhaust installed, with muffler of your choice for less money, then what the gibson kit costs then add shipping etc...

i would go custom, and save yourself the money for another mod

Hmmm well that would be even more tempting. There are to many mufflers to choose from.

True. I was told $350 for a flowmaster 50's exhaust. $100 cheaper. I'm going to have to think this out. First have to get a new battery, then tires, then exhaust :D

the whole discussion of mufflers could go on forever...

I have experienced FM40, and I like my Magnaflow better perosnally for to main reasons...

1. straight thru design for optimum flow, which eliminates chambers, and baffles to obtain the same sound.

2. quieter at lower speeds, and crusing speed... but screams when i romp the throttle :D

I appreciate a good growl at idle but for my daily driving I'm not really looking to scare people. Though when I take off I'd like it to be known. All your positive talking about the magnaflow muffler might make me give it a shot. I'll hold you fully responsible for how it turns out haha.

I appreciate a good growl at idle but for my daily driving I'm not really looking to scare people. Though when I take off I'd like it to be known. All your positive talking about the magnaflow muffler might make me give it a shot. I'll hold you fully responsible for how it turns out haha.

just got the magnaflow 15718 system installed - sounds and looks nice... all stainless steel and shiny! Not too loud but you can tell it is there. Got it for $357 at performancepeddler.com. go to http://www.performancepeddler.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MAG15718 and use code bestoffer4 on checkout.

I would recommend it! :biggthump

...and I like my Magnaflow better perosnally for to main reasons...

1. straight thru design for optimum flow, which eliminates chambers, and baffles to obtain the same sound.

2. quieter at lower speeds, and crusing speed... but screams when i romp the throttle :D

Do you have a video of your magnaflow exhaust? I'm wanting to see how it sounds. I may just do a magnaflow for my exhaust.

I'm looking for more of a nice deep truck sound. I love what my neighbor's GMC sierra sounds like. Nice deep truck sound. ~...

Is his Sierra a V6 or V8? It looks like only the 1500 offers a v6.

I have learned that no matter what kind of muffler you put on a v6, it will never sound as deep and powerful as an 8.

With that said, I put the magnaflow system on my 2003 4.0L X and it sounds pretty good - not too loud and not too ricey. I will try to get a video tonight and you can be the judge.

I can tell that there is a little more performance with it on vs stock... and overall, I'm happy.

I think my neighbor's sierra is a 99-02. I don't really talk to him so I wouldn't know a thing about that truck. His is the extended cab so he has either a 4.8L V8 or a 5.3L V8. Source: Wikipedia

I'm not liking the flowmaster 40 series. It sounds good, but it seems to be a bit raspy.

Don't worry you have allot of time to get ready for the stress

thats why i switched to magnaflow :thumbsup:

here are the videos I took today with the magnaflow 15718 system on a 2003 4.0L explorer

th_Sequence01.jpg

th_Sequence02.jpg

Will try to take some pictures too.

What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also take this into consideration, about the ranger clip...

dual pipes is going to affect the sound of the exhaust as well, causing the exhaust tone to be a little deeper...

Back