• Register Today It's free!

4.0L OHV Temp fluctuation

manousos

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'993, Sport
With the engine cold, temperature fluctuates from "cold" to "normal" (never hot)
The entire cooling system was flushed May' 06 during a thermostat change. At the time the coolant looked good with very few deposits/rust. Since then I have added about 50,000 kms to the engine - I drained some coolant and it looks ok.

There is no coolant loss, or coolant in the oil.

Followed this thread
(1) Replace Temp Sensor TSB: http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl511f.htm
There was a TSB on this problem. Replace the Temperature Sender with Ford part number F1SZ-10884-A and that should fix it.

Replaced the sender, fluctuation still present

I'm thinking:
- fan clutch (tested it by hand with cold and hot engine and looked fine)
- radiator cap

Am I missing anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the engine cold, temperature fluctuates from "cold" to "normal" (never hot)
The entire cooling system was flushed May' 06 during a thermostat change. At the time the coolant looked good with very few deposits/rust. Since then I have added about 50,000 kms to the engine - I drained some coolant and it looks ok.

There is no coolant loss, or coolant in the oil.

Followed this thread

Replaced the sender, fluctuation still present

I'm thinking:
- fan clutch (tested it by hand with cold and hot engine and looked fine)
- radiator cap

Am I missing anything?

So what's the problem? Engine is cold and it reads in the normal range? It may just be heating up faster now that it has a newer thermostat in it. Mine has been doing the same thing ever since the seasons changed for the warmer.

Our temperature gauges have a huge fluctuation as to what the "NORMAL" range would be. As long as the engine isn't overheating I wouldn't worry about it, it may be a bad gauge, short in the system, or something else. and if it's REALLY bothering you, you could always install an aftermarket gauge that gives you actual water temperatures. like this:
xxxaum4337.jpg

Is the needle bouncing around or acting unusual? (Blacksheep Josh, where did you find that gauge?)

not bouncing - more like traveling between cold and normal, repeating

This only started a couple of months ago. Prior to that the needle would show a steady operating temp, now it travels up and down, up and down...freaked me out the first time I noticed it - cold winter morning (in canada) I watched the needle steadily go up to normal (and just slightly past) only to travel back to cold, and then back

I got it, the thing's not working right... It might be a thermostat issue or something along those lines. Search Thermostat and see what comes up... there might be more to it than just that.

Is the needle bouncing around or acting unusual? (Blacksheep Josh, where did you find that gauge?)

google image search. i have a few gauges in my closet though my friend's dad gave me when apc shut down.

(thank you!)

Back