• Register Today It's free!

4.0L Timing Cover - SOHC vs OHV

tf43

Reaction score
City, State
American Samoa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS X series VIN
Ok...perhaps a stupid question, but need to ask, and hope you guru's might help some.
My search on the ole inner web, as gas monkey might say...isn't helping me much.
Question: is there a major difference in the timing cover housing used on the SOHC and OHV 4.0L engines?
I have a 2000 Explorer that is a OHV engine, so I believe as the cam is in the block, and not over the valves.
The VIN is: 1FMDU62X0YUB67722, and a look up says it was a SOHC engine, but I know for sure it does not have the cams over the valves. I need to replace the timing cover due to a water leak out of the driver side jacket...eaten through...go figure...thought I needed a expansion/freeze plug...wouldn't be the first time for that either, but this is the timing cover. Anyway, can you folks advise if they are different, or pretty much the same in design between the two. And if you have pictures of either...huge help too. I've only removed the AC and PS so far to find the leak and closed the hood for now. I live in the South Pacific and parts are not simple to come by locally either. So the hunt is on and just wish to know about the thing some.
Thanks for looking and any advice you might have about it all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good question!!

the 8th digit is a X
This means you have an OHV (pushrod) engine

No the SOHC engine uses a very similar timing cover, I do NOT think they interchange but I have never tried. The SOHC engine has extra chain (balance shaft)

SOHC engine:

index.php

103704_2__ra_p.jpg

OHV engine
s-l1600.jpg

The last year of the OHV was 2000 so the parts have been discontinued
Here is a used OHV cover on Ebay
Timing Cover 6-245 4.0L Ohv Fits 97-00 EXPLORER 80995 | eBay

90-2000 Ranger
91-2000 Explorer

I would stick with a OHV cover...they look the same, but I think there are difference in the mounting depth and back side. The OHV and SOHC use the same block, otherwise they are very different.......

410Fortune - Thanks for the post and information, very helpful.
I see a picture from Rock Auto, but unfortunately I don't see the part listed on their web site anymore...guess due to the fact it is discontinued by Ford.
The eBay items I am watching now too, but they don't ship to my location...bummer, but I'll send them a eBay message to see if they might consider shipping US Postal to my location.
Anyway, thanks again for the post and informative information.

I am trying to find out if I HAVE ONE
I have a 96 Explorer 4.0L OHV outside, it came to me with the engine torn apart, I need to go look in it and see if it came with a timing cover.
If it did I will ship it to you no problem!
First I will compare it to the sohc engine I have downstairs and see if they are same/different

Wow...how kind...am happy to cover shipping cost if you do have one.
Should fit in a large flat rate box I'd think, but perhaps not too. Perhaps a flat rage game box too.
I did find one on eBay for 33.00 and it said for the OHV 96 or 98 model.
On that Rock Auto part picture I mentioned...I did find that part on Rock Auto finally and it was for the SOHC engine under the 1998 & 2000 years, but nothing under the OHV engines...go figure. If you have both and get to compare them, it would be helpful information for others perhaps too, but given the age of the car now...most may not even give a rip about it...I'm one of the few to try and keep mine running...LOL...
Thanks again, Terry

People do give a rip about the old OHV engines, they have a good following here
It is very disappointing when parts are discontinued for these vehicles, the factory used to give us more support, now they want us out of our old stuff and into the newer models. Some of us refuse!
So we stockpile some of the old harder to get parts.

I will go looking for the part today and let you know ASAP!!
Thank GOODNESS for Ebay and the like...just too bad these sellers wont ship to you. I will!!

I hear you about stock piling. I had the thing overheat a couple times before due to freeze plugs rusting out, and pretty sure I warped the middle fuel intake and plastic unit some. I got those from a salvage yard, but the two stage intake bolts...those are discontinued parts too, and I manage to mess one of the torx heads up some before I got a set of torx sockets...I had to purchase a complete intake from a salvage yard to just get a set of good bolts. So I have a set of bolts and a good lower intake manifold.
Plus the upper plastic one intake as well. Even Dorman doesn't offer it now to my knowledge...so point well taken. For those of us that continue to fuss with these older OHV engines...parts are hard to come by.
Not all sellers on eBay are in tune to how shipping might work outside of the lower 48.
We have a US Post Office, and utilizing flat rate, or simple priority mail is really no different in shipping to my location that it would be if I ordered a part in New York and sent it to California. Why those that will ship US Postal, and then exclude HI, Alaska and US Territories is beyond me. Even when all we have are PO Boxes. Here in American Samoa we do not have street addresses...just PO Box. So I've fudged at times for FedEx and DHL...oh..ok...route 1 5829 boxer street...the folks at the PO all know me and are accustom to dealing with stuff like that when it comes in. :)
Anyway, this timing cover ordeal will not only help me out, but for those others that might wonder about the difference in a timing cover...good stuff.
Thanks again for all the follow up postings. We'll all benefit from it I hope... :)
Intake Bolt.jpg

DANG! I had to make a trip to Colorado and back earlier this week. I am back now. I have not forgotten about you!
I will go see if I have timing cover outside TODAY

If you don't find one I think I have one from a 99 in my shed

Awesome guys, really awesome. Once I get this fixed...I know I'll never ever run just tap water in it again without adding antifreeze to it.
I would have never guessed that running just tap water would cause the grief I've run into...sort of feel stupid...but where I live in the South Pacific...it never dips below 70.
Never even thought about electrolysis eating away at the cover; let alone the expansion/freeze plugs I've changed in it...and they were suppose to be brass plugs too.
Anyway, this is awesome news still, and if nothing else...will tell all others about any difference between the cover with a OHV and SOHC engine design. :)

I do have one! I just need to remove it from the engine....yikes
I was hoping it was in the box of engine parts already pulled
I should be able to pull the truck around to the shop and remove the timing cover this weekend.
171_281022_440000001.jpg

171_281022_440000000.jpg

I did find one on eBay and have it repaired now. Thank you for all the help provided.
Did you ever get a chance to compare the SOHV vs OHV covers?
The repair took most of the day, and part of another day sitting in a car port...LOL
Toughest part was the crank pulley in getting it off, but I bought a puller and it came with the right bolt(s) that threaded into it and finally got it off.
Anyway, it's back in service and been running for couple weeks now, and I haven't even notice any oil leaks around the front pan area where it goes to that cover.
I jammed enough silicon in it I guess...LOL

On to other repairs now, as we just this week bought from my wife's company the 2010 Sport Trac they auctioned off.
Has 62,635 miles and got a fair price I guess...for where I live, we always pay about 2,500 over KBB; just the way it goes down here.
thanks again to everyone for their support on this thread
Terry

I do have one! I just need to remove it from the engine....yikes
I was hoping it was in the box of engine parts already pulled
I should be able to pull the truck around to the shop and remove the timing cover this weekend.
171_281022_440000001.jpg

171_281022_440000000.jpg

Back