4.10 Ttb | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.10 Ttb

B

BMXunleashed

ok so first gen explorers came with the D2 axle code right? (4.10 gears)

cuz i got the rear end out of a newer EX with disc and it was pretty easy to find, but finding a TTB front end with 4.10 gears in it is kinda hard it seems...

i would even settle for an EX with axle code 42 (4.10 open)

it exsists right?!?!?! can someone help me out?

if not i can use the ranger front end from like a 93 or 94 ranger....i think the front ends are the same width (axle code 87, F7, R7 )

thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well from what I have seen and heard, 1st gens didnt have the 4:10 gear option, it was only available in second gen and up. Apparantly 3:73 was lowest gearing. Second gens use the torsion bars, so I am not sure that the front axle from it would be usable, but I am no expert.

first gen explorers and rangers with the ttb were definatley available from the factory with 4.10 gears

the most common was 3.73, many were 3.55, few were 4.10
Many of the 4.10 trucks were ordered this way by customers from the factory.

You need to know what gear ratio the vehicle has front and rear and what ration you are installing, you cannot just go bye what most of them came with, you have to physically check and if the truck has changed hands several times dont always trucks the door sticker

Wow, I did not know that, I will have to look around for some myself. What would this gearing be common in, tow package X's?

this gearing is not "common" but they are out there

oh.... i thought that might be the case....
and thanks for the tip i never would have thought that the ratio could be different from the sticker.... that could make things ugly

i think i might be better off changing just my front gears since i dont think ill find my 4.10 front end off an explorer, there arent too many explorers in the "pick ur parts" yards around here

i've heard the first gen sports had 4.10 gears more than 4drs but ive been checking the yard for a while and ive never seen a sport ex in there...

thanks again for the help

Back