• Register Today It's free!

4.6 02 blown spark plug

fangsnu

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland and ocasionally Iraq
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 EB
well to start off went to ocean city about 300 miles away and onthe way back 3 miles from my house it sounded like I blew a manifold gasket. Went to advance auto bought new ones changed both sides same noise. (the noise sounds like a poorly tuned harley davidson) Took the engine cover off to find a sparkplug laying there. looked around and sure enough found it #3 pass side. Once yet I can't find a helicoil and threadchaser big enough but still small at the top to go down our 4 inch or so long hole. SO I am ripping the heads out and putting in a set of 32 valve ones from a 04 cobra some kid totaled. And possibly that blower not sure if I can get it to fit though. Kind of a blessing in disguise. THANKS FORD FOR PUTTING IN CRAPPY ALUMINUM HEADS. Read the net there is a lot of other cases. People actually want to put a class action lawsuit agianist ford for this. So far the vehicles I know of are 99-05 150 5.4, and 4.6 triton, explorer 4.6, mustang 4.6 and 99-01 cobra, crown vic police interceptor and 4.6 pretty much it seems like to me is everything with a v8 and aluminum heads.

I have heard of this before but I thought it was much more common on the 5.4 than the 4.6's. Not good.

Good luck with 4V swap.

yeah you just have to be really careful with aluminum. I never take the spark plugs out until the engine is completely cooled. With the engine warm the aluminum is more malleable and torquing the plugs back into place with the engine still hot can do some minute damage over time.

I believe a lot of mechanics just dont care or are not aware and for the sake of time pull he plugs out and put in back in while the engine is still hot and just tighten them down by hand and not with a torque wrench. These plugs require very little torque to put them back in place. I'm sure most mechanics over tighten them

Back