Anyone had trouble with air conditioning compressor (4.6) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone had trouble with air conditioning compressor (4.6)

04limitedv8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
I have an 04 Limited explorer with 4.6 v8 that was bought with 40kish miles (cant remember exact). Just curious how many might have had an issue with the air conditioning compressor? I have put two compressors (in less than 100,000miles) on this vehicle since we bought it (installed Ford compressor by a Ford dealer both times). The first actually blew the hole side of the compressor out when it went. I called Ford and complained. I was told to keep my receipts in case there ever was a recall (which made me think there might actually be several problems occurring). IMO tho, there aren't enough v8 explorers (at least they are scarce around here) on the road to warrant a recall. Thoughts?

I don't think there is, mine locked up but I'm already at 120k miles. I suspect it wasn't correctly installed when you have it fixed. The accumulator/drier, condenser and orifice tube should be replaced when an AC compressor dies. Replacing the compressor alone will not guarantee that it will not fail again.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

2005 ford explorer air compressor issue

I also have had to replace my air compressor twice within 100000 miles. It is really frustrating at over 1000. Each time. Ford should look into this!

I'm filing a complaint hopefully they will recognize the issue.

Back