4.6 timing chain question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 timing chain question

I think the bigger concern right now is your expired operating system. :eek:

What do you mean expired? XP is supported till 2019. US Gov't and New Zealand forced MS too haha :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is very fascinating. Always fun when they change things around to save a few bucks here and there but for some reason still good parts in certain areas...

Also, we have Mustang engines. Actually better than mustang engines. Our engine are full aluminum. Mustangs had Iron blocks and mustang guys like explorer motors because they weigh over 100 lbs less! ( I still like iron blocks and heads though :P ) The difference is in the tune. Ford decided to pull away 20 hp from our explorers..

I think the bigger concern right now is your expired operating system. :eek:

Haha it still works. I'm still using the computer I built my junior year in high school. That was 2003-2004...

This is very fascinating. Always fun when they change things around to save a few bucks here and there but for some reason still good parts in certain areas...

Also, we have Mustang engines. Actually better than mustang engines. Our engine are full aluminum. Mustangs had Iron blocks and mustang guys like explorer motors because they weigh over 100 lbs less! ( I still like iron blocks and heads though :P ) The difference is in the tune. Ford decided to pull away 20 hp from our explorers..

Wouldn't the iron block be stronger and able to cope with more abuse better? Maybe that's why they used iron for Mustangs knowing they were gonna get the piss beat out of them? Minus the Teksid (spelling?) blocks of course. What are those good for like 1500 horse or something?

How hard is it to tune that 20 HP back in? Or maybe a few more?

As far as the Aviator stationary guides and tensioner arms go, I'm gonna continue my research over the next few days and see if I can find some exact dimensions of them compared to the normal Ex ones. If anyone has some Aviator parts laying around or some off of any other DOHC 4.6 and wouldn't mind sending them my way to do a side by side comparison I'd be happy to do this for the greater good of the community. Hell I'd even be willing to give someone some collateral if they want the parts back. I just really wanna know if we can use these as somewhat of an upgrade.

Haha it still works. I'm still using the computer I built my junior year in high school. That was 2003-2004...

Wouldn't the iron block be stronger and able to cope with more abuse better? Maybe that'.

Aluminum is actually stronger than the low-end cast iron. And it transfers heat better. Usually when a manufacturer switches motors it is because of economics.

The aluminum block on Explorers was most likely used to help make the model meet Federal emissions standards. It's also why intakes went to plastic.

My '04 is around 1k lbs heavier than my '94.

When you look collectively at how many Ex's there are, small changes in weight add up. Even if it's effect on a single vehicle is negligible.

Regardless of iron block or aluminum both blocks have hardened steel sleeves. The iron blocks cope with heat much much better than aluminum. You can severely over heat an iron block/head engine many times and it wont care. Over heat an aluminum engine once and very good chance of warping the heads at a minimum. (Ask Australians about iron vs aluminum engines) The aluminum engines are just much much lighter. Aluminum is also more expensive. Because of the explorers already heavy front end Ford had to use a lighter engine. For the mustangs it wasn't a big deal so they could cheap out there.

Plus it would benefit us to have the iron engines because the explorers are always doing much more work. They are bigger, heavier, more drag, and can tow. So the mustang engines generally have an easy life. Except when they are being WOT for a small portion of their life.

And for the composite intake, the pick up trucks and SUVs still received cast aluminum intakes. With much longer runners. The composite intakes offer compact and low profile design (need for the tight space in explorer engine bay) and a lighter piece as well. And again, cheaper.

The iron blocks cope with heat much much better than aluminum. You can severely over heat an iron block/head engine many times and it wont care. Over heat an aluminum engine once and very good chance of warping the heads at a minimum. (Ask Australians about iron vs aluminum engines)

Yea that is mostly a BS line of reasoning for liking Cast Iron over Aluminum. That's like not wanting to change from steam to internal combustion because those new-fangled gasoline engines work at really high pressures and you can't power them from wood along the trail.

Neither the spacecraft or airplane industries use cast iron. :)

:popcorn:

Yea that is mostly a BS line of reasoning for liking Cast Iron over Aluminum. That's like not wanting to change from steam to internal combustion because those new-fangled gasoline engines work at really high pressures and you can't power them from wood along the trail.

Neither the spacecraft or airplane industries use cast iron. :)

Um.. Okay. That is a fact that is known by many... So believe what ya want. People warp aluminum heads all the time from over heating.

If marine engines were aluminum ( I mean from mid 2000s and older) then I know many people who would have had to rebuild their motors several times over. Even for one of our boats. The impeller ripped apart and the temp shot right up and the block was boiling away what water it did have in it. Cause it was a good ol' cast iron 351W no harm done.

Not to be a dick and also I realize I have no authority here, but can we please try to stay on topic here with timing chain stuff? If we can get a good conclusion here with these parts this could be valuable information for others in the future and it'd be nice to not have to read through 18 pages of bickering to get the desired info. If you wanna have a discussion about iron vs aluminum here that's cool as long as it's productive and useful information. But please start a new thread if all we are gonna do is argue about it.

So here are some pictures of the parts in question to give an idea of why I think there is a possibility of interchangeability.

Exhibit A: SOHC tensioner arms, left and right respectively. From what I looked up it seems pretty much every SOHC 4.6 uses the same part for this.

arm%20left.jpg

arm%20right.jpg

Exhibit B: 03 Aviator tensioner arms. They look nearly identical to the SOHC ones above. The question is, are the differences enough to not allow interchange? If they are interchangeable, are the Aviator ones better? It looks like there is slightly more surface area for the chain to ride on.

03%20aviator%20arm%20left.jpg

03%20aviator%20arm%20right.jpg

Now on to the stationary guides.

First up is what I feel is the crappiest, the Late 02+ Explorer, left and right.

02%20up%20left.jpg

02%20up%20right.jpg

Then we have the 96 Crown Vic/Early 02 Explorer, which appears to be a decent step up in durability.

96%20vic%20left.jpg

96%20vic%20right.jpg

Last is what looks to me like it would be the best of all of them, the 03 Aviator.

03%20aviator%20left.jpg

03%20aviator%20right.jpg

Obviously they aren't all oriented the same direction for the pictures, however you can reorient them in your head if you are good at that sort of thing. One of them for the Vic has different mounting holes, but I just went out and looked and there appears to be holes already cast into the block for it, I'll have to check tomorrow when I have time to see if they are threaded.

Jake do you want me to post a picture of my guides?

Better get a big gulp too ;-)

Jake do you want me to post a picture of my guides?

That would help probably. Maybe with a tape measure on it in a few directions so I can measure mine. Too bad you couldn't sent them to me to compare side by side. I'd buy them all to see but returns are a pain with rock auto. Not sure if the local auto parts store can get them or not.

That would help probably. Maybe with a tape measure on it in a few directions so I can measure mine. Too bad you couldn't sent them to me to compare side by side. I'd buy them all to see but returns are a pain with rock auto. Not sure if the local auto parts store can get them or not.

amazon returns are wicked easy

Not sure why I didn't think of this before, dur moment I guess, but I just called the local Auto Zone and I have both guides and tensioner arms on their way. They should all be in by saturday afternoon. Once I get them I'll do a side by side and take some pictures and post them up.

Here is some good examples:

Engineteardown031.jpg

4.6L.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Don't forget the F-150s and E150, E250, and E350 that all had 2V 4.6L mod motors in them too

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back