Another F100 body swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another F100 body swap

I guess I kinda left you guys hanging. Going thru the thread, Ive made slightly more progress than the pics show. Here are some more...

Raised the floor of the bed about 6" to clear the higher frame rails of the explorer chassis. Also aligns the bed rails with the height of the cab and gets fender to running board alignment correct. Just tack welded in some cheap angle iron from home despot for now. Bed sides are pretty hammered and bent out of shape, so may eventually turn into brand new sheetmetal if I ever go with a full on clean hot rod look.

ulCzxURzwENxJs6kc2yIx54Eb9qatYa5biQ=w1752-h986-no?.jpg

First cruise. Literally held together with random bolts and bailing wire. New Years Day 2018. Cold but at least it was sunny. Hood fits like ass.

7PEROmwMUQRyZaU1bZM5fje_AAO1s5w7zxg=w1752-h986-no?.jpg

Bed is shoved a little far forward to close the gab between the bed and cab. The explorers are technically slightly longer than the f100. Thought I had the cab pushed back far enough, but I didnt know until later than I was hung up on the front frame horn and needed a little more trimming. There is a LOT of "just a little more trimming" to this project.

AfFUMJfGGW9X2aw3YodOPZY8qPf9cvCnkJg=w1752-h986-no?.jpg

Original explorer spare tire and hardware still work, although the factory explorer tires are almost 31" tall and just catch the back of the bed crossmember. Hopefully with a little shorter tire, it will clear and suck up under the truck the rest of the way. Got the script tailgate from my grandfather. Always liked them better than the block letters.

SxZyFCxbMnff5S14_pAUsZ4ww3tQuR-09FQ=w1752-h986-no?.jpg

One significant problem is the cab is just a hair too short (front to back) for the tall back seats. You cant lean them back far enough without putting your knees into the steering wheel. So I pulled the cover off one seat and cut the top half of the seat frame off, then slipped the cover back on (excess is folded over and tucked between seat and cab at the moment). Feels much better driving now, but I need to trim about another inch off the top, as the power seat height still jams the top of the seat into the back window seal.

njjv7pQE5p8kde4gtIvKt8utAKkwMimt46w=w1752-h986-no?.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's looking really good !

Man oh man I love this thing

So much want!!

I'm in the middle of this similar swap with a 1956 onto a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer. Your thread is a big help. Thank you

I’m doing a 55
on a 99 chassis
Just started tearing down the explorer thanks for the info on here

1999 Explorer

Attachments

• 41077275-9FAA-4741-B95D-917E34A68A66.jpeg
    41077275-9FAA-4741-B95D-917E34A68A66.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 175

I’m doing a 55
on a 99 chassis
Just started tearing down the explorer thanks for the info on here

Having thought long and hard about how I did mine, I dont recommend saving the explorer dash like I did. If I were to do it again, I would keep my stock 53 dash and firewall.

That said, I do enjoy the updated dash and all the modern electronics in the passenger area, but it comes with the price of a lot more work I think. My biggest hangup is wipers. No room left for the stock setup, so start finding a remote mount cable drive system now. No more cowl vent either. Plan to plug yours, or glue it down permanent. Im also doing a reverse tilt hood setup now. Never could get the factory hinges to work right and the explorer firewall is right where the hinge bolts land, so very difficult to adjust.

Good luck!

Having thought long and hard about how I did mine, I dont recommend saving the explorer dash like I did. If I were to do it again, I would keep my stock 53 dash and firewall.

That said, I do enjoy the updated dash and all the modern electronics in the passenger area, but it comes with the price of a lot more work I think. My biggest hangup is wipers. No room left for the stock setup, so start finding a remote mount cable drive system now. No more cowl vent either. Plan to plug yours, or glue it down permanent. Im also doing a reverse tilt hood setup now. Never could get the factory hinges to work right and the explorer firewall is right where the hinge bolts land, so very difficult to adjust.

Good luck!

Wow, she has came a long way. I seen this project at the beginning when I purchased the tow hitch from you.(not sure if you remember). i remember your buddies trailer. that thing was bad ass!

Any updates? Or any of you other people doing 53-56 ford truck body swap have any updates?

Any updates? Or any of you other people doing 53-56 ford truck body swap have any updates
If you’re on FB there is a group named Explorer F-100 swap something like that lots of guys on there building these trucks
I’m going to post my project on here also

Thanks Adam. I just joined the Facebook group.. Membership is pending...

@Adam Bradshaw I've been a member of the FaceBook group that you mentioned for two months now and there is not a lot of activity. There are a few people posting their work there and it looks like you have posted the most pictures. Looking good!

Not much. I drove the truck to a cruise on New Years Day, and its been in the garage ever since. I tinker with it now and then, but dealing with various land and house maintenance issues and job and life. Havnt had much time out in the garage. Really fighting the hood alignment and I think Im going to have to cave in and do a reverse tilt hood. Im also hearing a really nasty growl that Im not sure if its the AWD transfer case, or the front axle, so I havnt been driving it long distances in case its something thats gonna leave me stranded.
Was it the viscous coupler? I burnt mine up from having a difference of more than 2/32 in tire height grrrr?

Not much. I drove the truck to a cruise on New Years Day, and its been in the garage ever since. I tinker with it now and then, but dealing with various land and house maintenance issues and job and life. Havnt had much time out in the garage. Really fighting the hood alignment and I think Im going to have to cave in and do a reverse tilt hood. Im also hearing a really nasty growl that Im not sure if its the AWD transfer case, or the front axle, so I havnt been driving it long distances in case its something thats gonna leave me stranded.

updated pictures ?

Back