4.6L 3v Exhaust Leak Tick: Exhaust Manifold Replacement Walkthrough | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6L 3v Exhaust Leak Tick: Exhaust Manifold Replacement Walkthrough

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Well I was finally able to shoot a video showing in detail just how I replace these troublesome manifolds with all my tips and tricks I have learned throughout the years. I have also linked to all the tools and parts you will need to get the job done in the video description. I sure hope this helps as this can be a very expensive job at the dealer especially if they claim the heads have to come off. Look out for a video in the near future detailing exactly how I was able to remove the broken studs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZpkvRsNwYQ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome video. Thanks. Going to have to suck it up and do this project sometime.

sweet, yea my Pass side one went at 52K miles and the dealer replaced it under the 60K warranty. Now my driver side one is leaking at 130K miles. gonna have to do that my myself someday. someday...

Great video.
How did you manage not to break any :)
I did both sides and broke 4 out of 16, that was at about 150 k miles.

Awesome video! I spent probably the whole night the other night watching that video, the spark plug video and others.

Do the new studs (the stainless ones) fix this problem for good along with a new manifold? I've got 32k miles on my new to me 08 mountaineer 4.6L V8, and I'm wondering if this is one of those fix it before it becomes a major problem things like the spark plugs. But if it isn't really a permanent fix, maybe I'll do grade 8 bolts instead?

To me it seems odd to put in stainless studs if studs are breaking as stainless is typically weaker than grade 8 or even grade 5?

Back