• Register Today It's free!

4.6L Coil/Plug upgrade

chuda440

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer
Looking at doing an ignition coil and spark plug upgrade to my '07 4.6L. Any suggestions and warnings? Would like to do something other than stock replacement parts unless it is just not worth it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having visited this subject several times over the years on a few different Mustang forums, I can almost definitively say don't waste your time or money. There are no performance advantages to be had by aftermarket "performance" COP's (Accel, MSD etc) and longevity/reliability is a common issue as well. The best ones you can get are oem Motorcraft.

That said, if you're in a pinch and have a coil or coils that need to be replaced I can say that I've had good luck with generic Ebay replacements - running a set from AIP Electronics on my Mustang right now, still going strong after 3 years. Even if they don't last forever, you can often get a full set dropped off on your doorstep cheaper than a single oem replacement.

If you're looking for better performance, the money you would spend on aftermarket coils would be better spent elsewhere, like on a tuner.

I've tried several sets on my different COP Ford V-8's (P71's, trucks, SUV's). The bottom line? Stick with OEM. All of the marketing hype from the aftermarket brands is just that, all hype! I also run a shop and have never seen anything but decreased reliability from non-OEM coils on customer cars.

In regards to the plugs, I'd stick with Motorcraft. I "upgraded" the plugs on my '07 Mustang GT (essentially the same 4.6 motor) to the E3 brand (E3.07 part # I think) and it was a waste. Seemed like a slight decrease in MPG. Couldn't feel any difference in performance, idle, etc. The old ones I took out had about 50K on them. They were the "2 piece" plugs so I wanted to get them out while they were still relatively young. I've since purchased a set of motorcraft plugs - haven't put them in yet.

I was experiencing some poor fuel economy (15.2 mpg mixed) and poor throttle response on our 07 4.6. Ordered all new motorcraft plugs and tossed em in. All the plugs that came out looked good, no gap issues, carbon buildup or fouling. No change in economy. The coils looked like they weren't very old. Found a set of Accel coils on sale, snagged them nd installed them. Now the spousal unit averages 18.6 mixed driving. When I drove out to the outer banks for a field op I averaged 22 mpg highway driving (albeit no hills and very little stop and go)

Call it what you will, but I'm pretty happy with the change. Still have the OEM Motorcraft coils if anyone wants them.

Back