walkbk

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie 4.6l
Hey everyone,
I have a 2007 4.6l eddie x
So far i have done a custom flowmaster cat-back, K&N CAI, and a tune from henson performance.

My question is what would be a good mod to do next for some more power.

I notice headers for 2005-2010 v6's but not 8's.
Coils and wires- any real gain?
Zabteck throttle body- any real gain?

Anybody know of any other good upgrades?

Thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been asking the question myself since I got mines in 07. They use the same engine as the Mustangs which have a ton of mods including exhaust, cams, heads and superchargers but I have only seen one outfit that mods the Explorers and they use a supercharger. They have videos on youtube if you search.

I say throw some cams in it!

check out summit racing, they have a whole top end kit. Heads, cams, intake, throttle bodie, etc.

Thanks for the head up on summit i didn't see any throttle bodies though ... Anybody know if the 07 mustangs intake mani and throttle body have more or less air flow ?
Also i saw these on summit wondering if there would be any real gain?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-C2512/

Do you know of any specific throttle body that works?

Thanks for the help !!!

What is your budget and what do you want to do with it? A positive displacement blower will get you great horsepower and low end torque. A centrifugal will make insane power above 3500 for street and drag.

Then a Stroker kit will add 50+ HP AND torque with the right tune and compression, add ported heads and cams then look out.

I'm going to do an Eagle stroker kit, $1400, and either port the heads or find some already done $1500-3000, net 425 HP and go beat up on some Raptors.

As Shelby always said how fast do you want to spend?

I was not thinking that crazy.... yet lol

I just recently did pulleys .. pain in the ass but deff noticed an increase in power

I have a few studs broke off on my exhaust mani (leaks on startup for about 30 seconds) so i was thinking instead of replacing with stock parts i would do some headers. Does anybody know if the bolt pattern on the mustangs is the same as the x. If so im looking at the JBA shortys.
Can you see any reasons why this wouldnt work or have a recommendation for the headers.
Thanks guys!

I have been asking the question myself since I got mines in 07. They use the same engine as the Mustangs which have a ton of mods including exhaust, cams, heads and superchargers but I have only seen one outfit that mods the Explorers and they use a supercharger. They have videos on youtube if you search.

Hi guys!
I was browsing and thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

The one of the companies that puts Saleen superchargers on Sport Tracs plans on developing and adapting some of the 3V mustang aftermarket parts to work on 3V 4.6 motors in the Exp, Sporties, and Mountaineer.

For example, the intake manifold on a mustang takes a different throttle body, but the manifold will fit a explorer. Problem is you will need a mustang TB for it to work. Such as a Ford Racing TB or a take off mustang TB. The intake can be modified with Steeda delete plates for more mid to high RPM power. You will also need a new air intake. Either of these mods will take a custom tune.

Also the Saleen supercharger that was used on the Mountaineer is out of production, so the plan is adapting a ROUSH TVS 2300 to work. This is taking more time than expected to develop because there are custom brackets and a few other parts that are need developed for the blower to fit.

Also to have the kit available for a DYI installation everything needs to be perfect. Plus working it in with other projects is causing a delay, so maybe something coming late fall supercharger wise. I dont know the cost yet.

I was not thinking that crazy.... yet lol
If so im looking at the JBA shortys.
Can you see any reasons why this wouldnt work or have a recommendation for the headers.
Thanks guys!

No one makes headers for the 06-10 4.6 explorer, the mustang headers would bolt up to the heads but clearance on the steering rack and under chassis could be an issue.

I have not had mine up on a rack yet but if the shorties clear the firewall/steering then you "MIGHT" be able to have a custom . X/MID/H pipe made then the rest of the exhaust is cake.

the JLT for the 10+ GT will work as both TBs are the same round and not oval any more, but you will need a good custom tune.

I'm also looking for headers... =( There is no headers for 08 Explorer 4,6 ?

Just curious as to what mpg improvements you saw? Performance wise, did you see a reasonable improvement after the exhaust, k&n, and tuner?

My experience has been with those mods. the performance goes up and the fuel economy stays the same depending on the tune. The amount of performance you gain from a tune depends on the manufacturer, but typically the safest amount you can pull out of the engine with those mods. (and expect it to last) is in the range of 11 Hp and 15 ft-lbs. Tq at the rear.

Bbk headers do not fit the passenger side. I tried. There just isn't enough room between the engine and frame. Any suggestions? I don't want to put the factory manifold back on.

06 explorer 4.6l headers

Bbk headers do not fit the passenger side. I tried. There just isn't enough room between the engine and frame. Any suggestions? I don't want to put the factory manifold back on.

It will work but need to make some modification to the header just the driver side, if u know anybody can weld can do it for u, it took us couple tries and we got it right u have to slit on the edge and bend the upper pipe in use a short header bolt, and remove the cat. conv. we just did mine

Back