Ignition Coil, Spark Plug, Injector Q's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ignition Coil, Spark Plug, Injector Q's

taranmalhi

Reaction score
City, State
Mississauga, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited AWD
Was hoping someone could share some input on these q's. Got a misfire that popped up 2 days back on my Ex.

2008 4.6L Limited V8
Got a cylinder misfire on cylinders 3 & 7. Looked into the firing order and they both seem to be on on bank. Checked injectors by measuring resistance, coils & plugs are next.

I'm changing my plugs, coils & injectors if one proves to be a fail. I'm wondering if anyone is using aftermarket coils (MSD) or aftermarket plugs (NGK Platinum Iradium) MSD seems to have good coils, but I keep seeing that the OEM Motorcrafts are the way to go, just wanted to get a real opinion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went with Champions but replaced back with Motorcraft HT1.

Replaced coils with yellow Accels and truck runs still strong at 162k miles.

Did not touch injectors yet.

3 and 7 are not the typical cylinders to have misfires so I am thinking that it is the plugs that need to be replaced and I would start there before doing anything else. I have never seen a case where the injectors were the problem and typically more than one coil never fails at the same time.
A lot of individuals switched to the champions as they are a single piece construction, but they seem to fail even faster than the OEM motorcraft/autolites. On this particular engine the extra expense of the platinum/iridium plugs is just not worth it since you really don't seem to get any more life out of the plug than what you normally do with the OEMs.

I just swapped all 8 coils and plugs on my 2007 4.6. I used the Accel Coils and Motorcraft SP 514 plugs. I've owned alot of fords in my time and when it comes to plugs, I've found it's just smarter to stick with the Motorcraft OEM plugs. The SP 514 have the finewire platinum tips with .045 gap.

After installing, the ignition definitely hits harder and my hesitation and stutter issues are gone.

Just make sure to take your time removing those plugs. PB Blaster into the plug wells and just move the plugs a little at a time making sure not to force it if it feels frozen. It seems most people assume that breaking the plugs is unavoidable... but I didn't break any plugs going slow. (Change your oil when your'e done) Just in case you do break your plugs, you'll need this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00267PZUK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck

Hi , for 6 Cyl 4.6 Lit Explorer 2007 Eddie Bauer; I had a missing problem and initially this gave e message that Fuel pump low pressure. Later it gave me cylinder misfires sometimes in Cylinder 5 then 6.
I have recently changed the spark plugs and ignition coil but could not see any improvement. Recently did another computer test and I saw some compression in Cylinder 4 & 6. I have been observing a problem with loss of cooling water from reservoir since some time and loss is quite heavy i.e probably 1 Lit / 2 hrs of running.
What is the possible reason?

You could have a problem with your head gaskets leaking and letting coolant into the cylinders since it sounds like you mentioned that you have compression problems and intermittent cylinder misfires. However, it is possible that it all started with a plugged fuel filter since cylinders 4, 5, and 6 are on the secondary fuel rail and is the first side to have major issues and run really lean when the fuel filter gets plugged.
Also the V6 is the 4.0L not the 4.6L.

@ Gibby,

Thanks for your post. I have relized that problem was with Spark Plug cables. Further improvement was felt by changing the fuel filter.
Thanks for your feedback.

Ammad

Back