• Register Today It's free!

4" lift miscellaneous questions

adarkang

Reaction score
City, State
Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
I am looking to do a 4" suspension lift on my explorer. I have a few questions that maybe someone could help me out with. I searched for a long time but I can't seem to figure it out. I was going to buy just the Superlift front end kit without the shocks. Does anyone happen to know how long the shocks need to be? Also, on the rear end I was planning on doing a SOA currently I have an AAL and warrior shackles when I do this SOA conversion will the lift be too high with the AAL? I plan on taking the shackles off. I pretty much want the truck to be level, so I realize I might have to crank the torsion bars about an inch or so after the 4" suspension lift. Do brake lines need to be extended? Lastly, with the SOA can I use my stock shocks? since I am just gonna be flipping the shock mount over? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a similar question for my 2001- I have searched a lot on the net, and cant find anything for the newer exploders. I was thinking about 31-33" tires but need to clear them on my eddiebauer 5.0 AWD. Also, any suggestions for the AWD system? do I run into problems since it is not a pure 4x4 4WH/4WL system for offroading?
Thanks

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133899

That might help a little.

adarkang - Now, a SOA will give you somewhere from 5-6 inches, now - that's a good amount of lift with only 4" up front. You may be able to get away with mixing the two, but I don't think anyone has gone with this setup and I don't think anyone ever should. You can run the stock shocks in the rear, but you will have to either fab up a bottom mount or mound it somewhere else. I would get rid of the AAL. Brake lines should not have to be extended, but relocated (atleast with my lifts). The SOA may need more modifications (research using the search option of this site).

01eddie - Welcome to the site. Only real difference in the AWD system and the 4wd system is the transfer case. You should be fine. Now, since all you want to fit is around a 31 or 32" tall tire, I would look into a 3" body lift before going into the suspension. But you can do a torsion twist to get 2" out of the front and add-a-leafs or shackles in the rear.

-Drew

Thanks for the info Drew. I dont understand "You may be able to get away with mixing the two, but I don't think anyone has gone with this setup and I don't think anyone ever should." Why shouldnt I mix the two? I figured i would get about 5" with SOA and 4" lift in the front plus a 1" torsion twist. That way the truck will be level.

get a mono-leaf from a latter model sport and do an SOA with that

Monoleaf SOA = 4" lift

You dont think if I do a SOA with my stock leafs, no AAL or warrior shackles, it would be fine? I have a huge subwoofer box in my trunk that weighs probably 60-70 lbs. So I am thinkin my suspension will drop almost 1/2" cause of that .

adarkang said:
You dont think if I do a SOA with my stock leafs, no AAL or warrior shackles, it would be fine? I have a huge subwoofer box in my trunk that weighs probably 60-70 lbs. So I am thinkin my suspension will drop almost 1/2" cause of that .

I think it would be alot simpler for you to just do the full 4" Superlift system instead of trying to piece all that other **** together. The ride quality will probably be better too. With your 2" BL and the 4" Superlift you should be able to run 33X12.50's with no fender trimming. You can get the Superlift system at www.ultimateautoaccessories.com for $1700. BTW... I don't think you can TT the Superlift front because it would F'up the CV joint angles and steering as well. But you should talk to a mechanic at your local 4X4 shop about that one. Good luck.

OK...i have almost the exact setup mentioned. I have a 1995 Sport, 4" Superlift for the front, SOA in the rear with a monoleaf and an AAL with stock shackles. I have cranked the torsion bars around 1.25" and mine sits damn near perfectly level. ;)
As far as the shocks are concerned...i bought some universal shock mounts, and welded them to the axle where the old rear sway bar used to mount.

Cool...that's what I wanted to hear. Everyone keeps telling me the SOA is gonna make your ride really unstable. But I am not believing it. I tend to get hung up alot offroading with the leak pack under the axle, I think if I do the SOA, it will not only look alot cleaner under the vehicle but also it allows for more ground clearance.

I have been loking on this site for the set up your talking a bout. I think the best option for the rear is a SOA, but with the spring perches not as tall as the ones from Mountain that I see people putting on. By that I mean if you find a good perch that has less distance between the top of the axle and the bottom of the lowest spring. It seems you could get almost an inch difference here, and then level the front with a minor TT. The mountain ones are also longer front to back to help stabilize the leafs.

I used the Mountain Anti-wrap perches. Not a problem with height.

Back