4 speed swap for 302 in 92 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 speed swap for 302 in 92 explorer

As most of you know I just did a 302 swap into my 92. Now, the C6 that i had in the truck was junk, so I got a 4 speed. Has anyone ever stuck a 4 speed manual in an explorer? Is there anything I need to do majorly to make it fit into the truck? My only major concern is the placement of the shifter, and where it is going to come through the floor. Im hoping that it is in the correct spot on the explorers floor, and not under the dash, cause then I will need to redo my motor mounts and move the motor back farther, and possibly cut the firewall.

Does anyone know if the manual T-case from my c6 will work on the 4 speed? My 4 speed tranny doesnt have a tail shaft on it right now, does anyone now if the tailshaft from my c6 will work on the 4 speed. BTW the 4 speed is out of an 85 F150 with a 302.

Thanks in advance.
Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Andy did you already buy the 4 speed not knowing what T case(s) will bolt up to it?

The 4 speed will likely fit the explorer fine, the explorer has a large hole in the floor on the trans tunnel.
Take your seats out (for the carpet) and remove the cover.
Your arm can also adjust to quite a few different locations and heights for that shifter and still be comfortable. Also shifter arms themselves can be bent, shortened, lengthened, etc. You should be fine.

Did the 85 F-150 have a t case or was it 2wd. First thing to do is indentify your transmission, Google search will help, F-150 of full size bronco forums.

Likely they can tell you what T case to use and if the output shaft on the trans needs to be changed for a t case.

Are you dead set on using this transmission? A c4 can be a great tranny behind a 5.0L, and much easier to stuff them the larger C6.
AOD is a good trans too

410Fortune said:
Andy did you already buy the 4 speed not knowing what T case(s) will bolt up to it?

The 4 speed will likely fit the explorer fine, the explorer has a large hole in the floor on the trans tunnel.
Take your seats out (for the carpet) and remove the cover.
Your arm can also adjust to quite a few different locations and heights for that shifter and still be comfortable. Also shifter arms themselves can be bent, shortened, lengthened, etc. You should be fine.

Did the 85 F-150 have a t case or was it 2wd. First thing to do is indentify your transmission, Google search will help, F-150 of full size bronco forums.

Likely they can tell you what T case to use and if the output shaft on the trans needs to be changed for a t case.

Are you dead set on using this transmission? A c4 can be a great tranny behind a 5.0L, and much easier to stuff them the larger C6.
AOD is a good trans too

I didnt buy the 4 speed. The buddy that I got the c6 from gave it to me because the c6 was garbage, and he was pretty sure that my t-case would bolt to it, but he wasnt 100% sure on it. The tranny was out of a 4 wheel drive truck. Im not dead set on using the 4 speed because i dont want to go through the pain in the ass of putting in the pedals, and master cylinder, but i dont know right now. I would rather use an automatic, but the 302 with a 4 speed would kick ass.

the pdeals and master are easy, or should be. Not sure how the stock master will work with the 4 speed slave??

410Fortune said:
the pdeals and master are easy, or should be. Not sure how the stock master will work with the 4 speed slave??

Yeah, that is one of my concerns. I might need to use a master cylinder from an F150 or bronco. But, right now I am in the process of trying to find a C4, or some automatic tranny. I like a stick for offroading, but I also like an automatic because this will be my daily driver again as soon as it is done.

my vote would be rebuild the c6, or get another and do the whole shift kit thing.. i love my c6, never had any problems

i also would like to comment that the master cylinder swap isnt that difficult, i have a full size master on my truck and it stops on a dime

HAHAHA we were talking about the clutch master cyl.

haha my bad.. either way stick with the c6

351wExplorer said:
haha my bad.. either way stick with the c6

I dont have the money to rebuild the C6 right now. The only reason i will probly stick the 4 speed in, is because I already have it, and I was guaranteed that it worked. I just want to get this truck back on the road again. I havent driven it in nearly 4 months :mad:

the tranny could be a np435 or T18. They might have offered a tranny with out a granny low as well but I am not sure. Go look at advanceadpaters web page and you should be able to see what it is and what will bolt up to it. If it is an np435 the shifter will come up under the dash and will need to be bent to clear the dash. Not positive about the t18 but I bet it will be pretty far under the dash as well. By the time you screw around with swaping in the 4 speed getting all the parts you need making new driveshafts I bet you could have had the c6 rebuilt instead.

If it is an np435 and you decide not to swap it in, I would be interested in buying the bellhousing if it is an internal hydrolic version.

Alright, I made some calls tonight, and my tranny guy has a c6 that is recently rebuilt, and he said he will give it to me for $150. So, the truck will stay an automatic :D I just need to come up with $150 now, which isnt that easy with my DUI that I am currently trying to pay, and the huge insurance that I now have.

Alright, I picked up a new c6 today, that has been recently rebuilt. So I pulled out the old C6, I will try to find time this week to put the new tranny in, but its not for sure going to happen this week. Ill keep everyone updated.

Back