• Register Today It's free!

4 wheel drive binding problem?

Parkeroutdoors

Reaction score
City, State
Reading PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Sport Track
I have a 2005 ST I have the original 16 inch rims but I put some 275/75 r16 on them and I have a2 inch torsion twist on it. The problem I am having when I engage the 4 wheel drive. It goes fine but the is a little shutter from time to time. Is sounds like a little thud! Then goes away for a Minuit or two, then happens again. It does it at 5 mph or 40 mph and even when I am driving straight. Not just on turns . 2 wheel drive does not do it! Any help would be good... Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you on hard, dry surfaces with your front end engaged?

are you driveing on a clear paved road when this happens? Our Sport tracs are not made to drive on clear dry paved roads in 4wheel. Your front diff will protest when one wheel is trying to turn faster then the other as in going around a curve. Front and rear are trying to run at different speeds.. something will break.

Are you actually binding? or do you have snow packed up behind the wheel?

Sounds like maybe the Transfer case motor is disengaging.

It happens on snowy road, I have not used the 4 wheel on dry pavement. So there is no heavy traction in the drive train.

I use it only when there is snow on the road. The 4x4 light does not blink on and off so. If it's the transfer motor. Would the 4x4 light blink on and off? And I don't have snow cloves in the wheels, so could not be that.

4x4 light would prob stay on with the solenoid on

Back