• Register Today It's free!

48 Pound Clutch Pressure!?

DryDog

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbury, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
I gave my 91 to my son to drive 18 months ago. Recently I Clunkered my F-150 and bought a Mazda3 (those same great people that made my 91’s 5-speed.) Hunting season is here so I’m driving the Ex again. The clutch seems harder than I remember to depress so I measured it. I takes 48.5 Lbs, whereas the Mazda is 19 Lbs. And, there is not as much play at the top. Is something failing??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody...
I'd hate to be out in the snowy woods and the clutch fails.

Bleed the clutch. Bleeding enough to flush out all the old brake fluid and have all new makes some difference, but getting any air out really helps.

The clutch pressure is somewhat related to the master cylinder more than anything else, the only way to get a softer pedal like new is to pop in a new Motorcraft master cyl and hope it's a soft one.

You don't have much to worry about it failing. The only things that really go on these are the slave cylinders, which go very slowly and will still let you shift for years, (but give you a fit once in a while when you really want it to go into gear but it won't), and the pushrod for the master cyl, which is mostly plastic and will snap in half, leaving you with no option but to replace the whole master since they don't sell just the pushrod. Of course, you might find someone parting out who'll sell you the all-metal one from a later Explorer or newer master assembly.

Also keep in mind, the Explorer clutch feels mighty heavy after being in a sport compact.

Also keep in mind, the Explorer clutch feels mighty heavy after being in a sport compact.

Ditto

I put a post about the same thing in the transmission forum. It's just heavy. Would be nice to have some kinda vacuum assist on it.

I think that clutch pressure is normal. it's about twice what the clutch pressure is in the mazda, but remember it's twice as big of a vehicle as well.

...i'm happy i could help pay for you're new Mazda btw. (cfc)

The clutches in them will get stiff sometimes. Sometimes they will get that way early in life, sometimes later, sometimes not at all. No real explanation for it.

Thanks for all your replies. And rhauf, I am Navy educated. So thanks for your tax dollars there as well.

i'm all for the navy getting money, that's exactly what the gov't is for. i'm just not a big fan of tax dollars to pay for perfectly good equipment to be destroyed for no good reason. its such a huge waste.

Back