4d55 mitsubishi turbo diesel in an explorer?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4d55 mitsubishi turbo diesel in an explorer??

mjstef

Reaction score
City, State
Kalispell, Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer
Has anyone done this conversion? I have a wrecked 86 Ranger 2wd diesel and i would like to swap out the diesel into my 91 explorer with a blown 4.0. Ranger is a 5 speed and explorer is an automatic. I am driving 5-6K miles a month and the 10 mpg difference would pay for the conversion quickly!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it should work if you take all of the mounts and brackets off the ranger without damaging them due to them probably being hard to find. but other than that the x and ranger frames are the same in the front.

you would prob have to upgrade the suspension in the front to take the extra weight of the diesel. im not sure how much extra it would weigh the the 4.0 but im sure its much heavier. good luck with your swap! i wanna see some pics if you do it.

Just one thing to remember, the diesels in the old Ranger were GUTLESS! No, I really mean it. A Cummins 4BT from a Grumman van or similar while harder to do would probably be more satisfying.

well who says he wants guts? from what i saw i'm assuming he just want's the gas mileage anthe reliablity

remember to check parts availability, also there is a big difference between a 165 horsepower engine and a 90 hp one.

Whats the torque rating? Most diesels don't boast great HP numbers. Also gotta factor the same motor would get less MPG due to the heavier Explorer. Always wanted a diesel Ex/Mounty

yea, i always heard the diesels sucked to. like really bad. i mean im sure the guy is asking about gas mileage, but i also dont think he wants a car that has a 0-60 time of somewhere between 5-10minutes either. Im pretty sure they put those engines on generators and tractors. So if ya wanna still do the swap, ya might be able to look up some info on that to.

Just one thing to remember, the diesels in the old Ranger were GUTLESS! No, I really mean it. A Cummins 4BT from a Grumman van or similar while harder to do would probably be more satisfying.

Not to concerned about anything but mileage. We don't drive like people do in big cities here in Montana. No big rush. I drive my 05 expedition around at 63 mph and can get 20-21 mpg out of it. The explorer i currently drive gets 23 mpg. I just have another explorer and the ranger and thought i might pass some time this winter in the garage doing the swap. Don't know how the bellhousing thing will work. I can also get the injectors rebuilt, turn up the pump and install a bigger turbo for about 135 hp.

AAAAHHH you have almost all the parts, ok that is a different story then.

ill like to see it done so post some pic if you do it:thumbsup:

Haven't done this type of conversion, but found another post about the same topic with a 87 Ranger with a Mitsi. 4D55. The fellow there was trying to find out about a 4x4 transmission that would fit. I did a search for the engine and ran across this post, as well as 100,00 others that referenced to the engine. The one that interested me the most was at the following link:http://pdfdatabase.com/index.php?q=mitsubishi+4d55+overhaul+manual+pdf
I hope someone can get some use from this.

Ray

Back