4r44e swap to 4r55e

SouthernTrails

Reaction score
City, State
Pontotoc, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 4X4 XLT
Hello Everyone,

Ok here we go. I have a 95 Explorer 4X4 XLT 4.0 4r44e. I got this truck with a messed up transmission in it. After going from park you have to put it 1st. or 2nd. to get to move then after moving you can shift it to drive. No blinking OD light. It also has a 1-2 flare and a 3-4 flare. Now with that said.

I am thinking about buying a new trans. to put in it and was wondering if it would be a easy upgrade to swap the 4r44e to a 4r55e since I want to jack it up and put some swampers on it. Plus from time to time tow trailers.

Or should I just go back in with the 4r44e?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm no expert. Far FAR from it. But from everything I have read on these forums, the 4r44e and 4r55e are the exact same tranny from a mechanical standpoint. The difference is the computer in the vehicle. So, you can use either one, but it wouldn't really be an 'upgrade'...just a straight across replacement.

I have pulled the vb and everything shows that it is 4r44e but that might be the wrong one in it since it looks like it has been replaced.
I have looked all over the internet and everything shows that it is the same but just beefed up. But Noone has said that it will for sure. I would not see what that computer would have to do with it since there no extra gears. Just has stornger build.

It should be a 4r55e. The 4r44e wasnt used behind the 4.0l as far as i know.

Well that might be what is wrong here, the vb is for sure 4r44e. Even took it up to the local trans shop and they agree. I have looked at many pics of this trans everything that I am see its a 4r44e.

But on a side note after cleaning up the vb and new filter and fluid seems to be doing a good bit better. So I wonder if a new updated vb would just fix what I have.

The only difference between the two transmissions is the rear gear set. the 5r55e has a 6 planet set and the 5r44e has a 3 planet set. I turned my 5r44e into a 5r55e when I converted the trans to 4wd a few years ago (my ranger).

The only difference between the two transmissions is the rear gear set. the 5r55e has a 6 planet set and the 5r44e has a 3 planet set. I turned my 5r44e into a 5r55e when I converted the trans to 4wd a few years ago (my ranger).

Okay, so whats the difference between the 4 speed 4R44E & the 4R55E? Same as the 5 speeds?

Back