• Register Today It's free!

4r55e/4r44e rebuild

osteologation

Reaction score
City, State
Caro, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
well i have a 96 explorer limited i just picked up with 259k original miles. it drives fine. no reverse though. also drive can be slow when cold (so i was told). now i'm sure it'll need a rebuild soon. the fluid is dirty but doesn't smell burnt.

what should i look for when i take it apart?
how hard is it to rebuild?
is there a step by step thread anywhere?
is it the 4r44e or 4r55e?

autozone lists the 4r55e as the replacement. i've seen the master kits for cheap on ebay. the torque converts and rebuilt valve bodies are fairly reasonable too. will i need them? 259k is alot of miles.

would it be cheaper/easier to rebuild my self?

i'm not scared of doing it i just would like a guide to go by. i liked the rebuilt valve body because i've been told that the valve body is the part that most people screw up. but ive seen the diaries and i think i could do it.

what kinda cost is associated with that?

sorry for rambling.

also i just found that it has no neutral. reverse doesnt work but lights come on. it drives in neutral. i can shift 1, 2, od, and N and they all go forward. is something poopy in the linkage/valvebody?

its very soft when cold i just drove it around the yard and it definitely needs work. even in 4lo its snappier but soft.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4r55e for sure. The other one is for a ranger.

I would have to say maybe the low/ reverse servo or seal may be blown. May be bad seperator gasket/ plate in the valve body. I would start with the valve body if I were u.

With that many miles it is a tough call. That trannie has given its all - in fact I bet FORD never expected a 250K Mi useful life. . You*COULD* flush out the old fluid, and then replace the VB with a rebuilt one with new or tested solenoids and "maybe" eke out some more miles. You would be living on borrowed time.

Yea bet ford is shocked to see a tranny go that far! Well I might be able to help out if you are planning on rebuilding the trans your self which by the sounds of it you are planning to do. I am doing a rebuild on the 5R55E for the next few days . I know they are not the same but they are very similar. But for starters I would maybe try to rebuild the VB and all like said before, but again you would be running on time. My diary I am doing might be able to help you out and asist you in the messy journey of the explorer trans rebuild. lol
good luck man.

For starters Im with Brooklyn on this Sounds as if your range sensor is toast you can try to adjust it. But with that many miles you are due for a build ( did you put all those miles on the vehicle yourself wandering if its been rebuilt before?)

well i have a 96 explorer limited i just picked
is it the 4r44e or 4r55e?

autozone lists the 4r55e as the replacement.

There are 5 automatic transmissions used in the Ford Ranger, Explorer and Mountaineer. They may be identified by checking the transmission code on the Safety Standard Certification Label attached to the driver's side door post, in the space marked Trans. The transmissions can also be identified by a tag attached to the lower left hand extension attaching bolt. The transmission codes are as follows:

1991-94 code T is for the A4LD transmission

1995-99 code T is for the 4R44E (2.3L, 2.5L & 3.0L) or 4R55E (4.0L) transmission

1996-99 code U is for the 4R70W (5.0L) transmission

1997-99 code D is for the 5R55E (5-speed automatic) transmission

All of the automatic transmissions are 4-speed units with a lock-up torque converter, except the 1997-99 5R55E, which is a 5-speed unit with a lock-up torque converter.

Sorry, I am having trouble on starting a NEW TREAD, Please move if need be...

I am installing a 4r55e right now..... the extension housing is for a 5.0 liter and I have a 4.0liters, the 5.0 does not have a speed control sensor.... see below.... Queston can I swap out the extension housing to make it work.... the tranny is labled 4r55e by the rebuild ing shop,,, I think they just put the wrong extension housing on it.....

"Some things to note.... on the later 4R70W's they did not use a gear driven speedometer, so the hole in the 2WD extension housing got closed off..."

what/where is the range sensor? is that part of the valve body? i was planning on gettig a rebuilt valve body since they are not terrribly expensive on ebay. i know it would be borrowed time i just didnt want to take the tranny out more than once. and i bought it from 2nd owner he got it with less thatn 100k and never towed with it and just drove it to work and back. as far as he knows its original. it runs like a champ. better than my old 91 with 140k on it. everything works on it. except teh tranny lol.

Here are some informative links, that will help you along if you decide to rebuild it yourself.

This article is a 4R70W transmission rebuild checklist (20 pages)

This streaming Windows Media file will show the 4R70W dissambly. (14 megs)

This streaming Windows Media file will show the 4R70W sub assembly. (6 megs)

This streaming Windows Media file will show the 4R70W assembly. (11 megs)

I would have to say maybe the low/ reverse servo or seal may be blown. May be bad seperator gasket/ plate in the valve body. I would start with the valve body if I were u.

would a valve body replacement be in order then? or when wathcing those videos is it one of those seals under the valve body? i just wanna make sure i do it right the first time.

I Would still start with the range sensor if it were me at least realign it it needs to be in neutral and the marks on the sensor should line up then tighten it back. then try to see what happens I still say from your symptoms that the sensor is out of alignment or toasted. you may have other issues as well.

Ok thanks I will give that a try when i have the chance. The previous owner said it was a gradual problem. Also he said that neutral worked not too long ago. He took pretty good care of the beast. Ive known him since he bought it and I've always coveted it. He just upgraded to a 04 limted with a 4.6.

I Would still start with the range sensor if it were me at least realign it it needs to be in neutral and the marks on the sensor should line up then tighten it back. then try to see what happens I still say from your symptoms that the sensor is out of alignment or toasted. you may have other issues as well.

ok i got under there today.my flashlight was failing and it was a tight squeeze for me to get under teh running boards but i dont see any marks. im assuming the range sensor is where the shift lever goes into the transmission. i see that it may be slightly adjustable but im not sure which way to go cuz im not seeing a mark. i feel rather silly for asking simple questions but i mus tbe overlooking the obvious.

also i bid on a Vavle Body. 2 year guarentee is that a good deal. he gave me a second chance offer at that price.

dtr

here is a good picture of what your looking for and how to align it you may have to take it off to clean it first the marks are just little lines that need to match up while in neutral then tighten.

Also the reverse light and etc may still work but it can still be a bad sensor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

was there a picture there? anyway is there a way to check with an multi meter if the sensor is kaput? where are the lines to match up (like one on the sensor and one on the case?). thanks again.

Back