4R55E (or 4R44E) Solenoid Location? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R55E (or 4R44E) Solenoid Location?

Joebigfun

Reaction score
City, State
Schenectady, NY, 12304 (near Albany)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
I have a '95 Explorer with a V6 and no overdrive. Not sure if it is the 4R55E or 4R44E. I get a code 648 ("incorrect 4th gear ratio" or somenting like that). I am going to try replacing the OD solenoid, new fluid and filter, and adjusting the bands. But I do not know which solenoid is the OD solenoid. I've searched for hours and cannot find a diagram. Anybody want to point me in the right direction?

Also, which ATF does this use?

BTW, it also seems to have a delayed engagement issue from park to D (or R) that gets worse as it gets hotter. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try the band adjustment first before replacing the solenoid, and ATF. This thread has the solenoids labeled: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196153
This photo is courtesy of Jimbo74:
attachment.php

Since they stopped manufacturing DexronIII/Mercon, you could put Mercon V ATF into this. How many miles do you have? Thje EPC solenoid might be a little weak, and could be causing the delayed shift.

Try the band adjustment first before replacing the solenoid, and ATF. This thread has the solenoids labeled: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196153
attachment.php

Since they stopped manufacturing DexronIII/Mercon, you could put Mercon V ATF into this. How many miles do you have? Thje EPC solenoid might be a little weak, and could be causing the delayed shift.

BrooklynBay, thanks for helping. I already have the pan off, so maybe I'll try fluid/filter & band adjustment today. The truck has only 90k on it but the fluid was pretty dark (like used motor oil). My transmission-knowledgeable friend looked at the pan and said there was a lot of clutch-type material in there, but it might be serviceable. The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are nice and firm, so I hope the ($200) EPC solenoid is ok. I figure its worth the relatively low cost of the fluid/filter & band adjustment to see if it helps. I'll post my results in case it can help anybody else.

One last question; is SSD/CCS the solenoid that controls overdrive?

OK, I installed a new filter/gasket & ATF (Dexron III/Mercon), and adjusted the OD band. It was pretty far out of adjustment. I measured the distance from the top of the adjuster to the nut before and after; a 2mm difference after the adjustment!

I now have overdrive and no flashing od light!

But it still has the delay when you put it in D from P or N. The delay is gone when going from P or N to R.

Thanks for the help BrooklynBay.

hey on the new epc test sylaniod are there any warrantys/garantees if i screws something up? or are we sol if something bad happens from the design? im interested

xfatcatx, no warranty, they make you sign a waiver saying if it fries your tranny, than that sucks....

as for the od solenoid, it is the SSC top left in the picture... i had a code P0761 and it said OD solenoid, from what glacier991 told me, it was the ssc... that picture was actually taken from his 5r55e vb rebuild thread, and i modified it with labels

i recently replaced my ssc, got it from www.transmissionpartsusa.com for $23 shipped, I went with the techpack brand and not the Bosch OEM, from my research the Techpack is better

thanks jimbo, ill pass then, my only ride right now.....good luck to the rest of you.

fatcat, thqt is up to you, however i would be thrilled at a chance to test this part.... with as much research as it has into it, i highly doubt it is going to hurt the vehicle. it isnt jsut some part some guy said oh i think i'll try it, there has been some research done and that research is sound

glacier wants to do this, and i am not sure if you know him from the site, but this guy knows his stuff, he would not endorse doing this if he thought it was bad

4R44E EPC soleniod

I read that turning the EPC Solenoid clockwise 1/4 turn will firm up the shifts in my 128,000 mile, '99 Ranger. Is there anywhere in this forum that shows how to do that? Thanks in advance,
Wendl Ormsby
Covina, CA
wendorms@gmail.com

attachment.php

Is the EPC solenoid inside the oil pan? I remember reading somewhere that it could be adjusted from outside of the trans housing on the passenger side.

Wendl Ormsby
Covina, CA
wendorms@gmail.com

RANGER transmission. 4R44E won't take gear in drive or reverse

Where's the selonid location on the 4R44E RANGER transmission.

Back