• Register Today It's free!

4R55E rebuild.

rsm64184

Reaction score
City, State
Garden City, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ranger xlt
I have a 1995 Ranger the transmission went out, I called every places within 300 miles to find a transmission. I decided to take a new route and rebuild it myself. Now know I have never tried a task like this before. I am getting a complete rebuild kit from a very reputable supplier and a 4R55E tech book with step by step. I am looking for any information that might be useful in this endeavor, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmissions section. There is a sticky thread on the top of this section on the 4R55E. It would be great if you could document everything, and take pictures to make a how to thread.

Just did mine last year. A good repair book, good torque wrenches, a camera to take pictures, and zip lock bags to label bolts and parts. And a long table to lay everything out on as you take it apart. lots of brake cleaner, and patience. Good luck!

I got the rebuild kit and a tech manual that has every step in detail I hope I can get it done in a reasonable time. I do have a quick question to make sure I am under going the correct procedure. I was on the freeway driving 55mph I lost all power through my transmission and my RPMs shot all the way up. It shifts into gear but then I have to apply 3/4 of the throttle to get it to move either direction. Now I am just making sure a complete rebuild will cure this.

I checked the fluid and it is fine, had the computer checked it was good. So I got the transmission almost out. Been raining a lot and no garage. The next step is to finish pulling it out and look inside I don't really like the idea of having to rebuild it but if it needs done it needs done. One of my friends actually told me to just sell it as is but I love that truck. Plus I just got a 4inch body lift to put on it along with the 4inch suspension lift it already has and a set of 33x12.5 BF Goodrich M/T's for it. Man it will be beautiful.

How can I tell if it is just the valve body gasket that has gone bad?

You could see if the sides of the gasket are flaking apart when you remove the pan. Check for loose valve body bolts as well. The first spot to check is usually near the EPC solenoid since it resonates at a low frequency.

So i got my transmission out and I think it is my torque convertor. It rattle bad when I move it. When I put it on the transmission it spin with almost no resistance. Can I get some thoughts? I am going to take it in and have it checked.

Back