• Register Today It's free!

4R55E servo springs.

antper83

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington Park
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Good afternoon, i just finished rebuilding a 4R55E transmission on my girlfriend's explorer, everything worked fine except not picking up reverse, with the tranny in the car i disaasembled the the valve body and the reverse servo cover and piston. After thourghly checking the band i noticed it was out of place. After i set it in place i assembled everything and presto! I have reverse....

Now, here is the problem i still have, the truck is sliping on third gear, i adjusted the bands in accordance to the rebuild manual, still nothing. I tried to play with the adjustment 3 times, to diferent settings, still nothing.

My theory is this, i might have accidentally switch the springs on that go in front of the intermediate and overdrive band pistons.

According to ford and the manual the pistons are diferent, one is short and is made out of thinner wire, the other one is long and the wire is thicker.

Which one goes on the overdrive and which one goes on the intermediate servo pistons???? Ford says they have different colors, the springs from that transmission are plain metal.... Unless i buy 2 new pistons from ford i more likely wont be able to know for sure which one is which, the reason why i m posting it here.

Does anybody happen to know where the long one goes?? I remenber having this confusion when i was putting it together, i place the short skinny in the overdrive and that long and thick on the intermediate. I'm assuming that i am supposed to switch them but i do not want to spend and hour under that truck with out knowing for sure, i'll apprecriate any help.

thanks!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmission section. The servos/covers are different sizes just the like the springs. You should remove them, and post of picture of them. The springs are color coded, and the servos are a different diameter. The inner part of the cover matches the servo, but the outside diameter is the same (the part that comes into contact with the case).

Thanks for the reply brooklyn bay, the springs do not have any colors, the reason why i started a thread in this forum. I went to ford to try to get an anwer to my question and all they know is that they should be colored, yellow for overdrive, green for intermediate. My springs are bare metal.

Back