• Register Today It's free!

4R55E to A4LD swap

Gizzard

Reaction score
City, State
Payson, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 EB
Hi folks. My cousin has a '95 Explorer, apparently with the 4R55E. Trans went out recently. He bought a totalled but complete '94 Explorer, apparently with a A4LD. Trans in '94 had recently been rebuilt. He ASSUMED both trannys are the same. Both trans are still in both vehicles. What are the tell-tale signs that confirm what tranny is what? Can we swap the computer controlled solenoids, etc. from the A4 over to the 4R and make this work? Any help and info is much appreciated.. Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look for a vacuum modulator on the side of the trannie near the rear and under the heat shield. It will have a hose running to it. If it is there, you have an A4LD in front of you.

You can swap guts from new to old (mostly) but the cases are different. (See project frankentranny in the sticky threads above) BUT !! You can't put a 4R55 vave body on an A4LD transmission and make it a 4R55 (or 4R44). Sorry.

Well, darn it. I will have him look for that vacuum modulator on the '94 tonite. Thanks alot. Don

Most likely you're screwed.

But can you swap the 4r55 to a A4 application?

and do they sell an upgrade harness?

I don't know if the stand alone controlloer for the 5R55 transmissions will control a 4R55E or not. If it would, that might be the most straightforward way to put a 4R55E in place of an A4LD, even though those stand alone controllers are expensive.

If you have enough $$ there is often a way to make things work. For 99.9% of us we are trying to SAVE $$ not spend it. SWAPS in these days of computer control are $$$ eaters.

Is there a general compatibility thread somewhere, like what transmissions work with what years? I think they put 4r44e and 4r55e in my year (1996) so presumably I could use either in my truck, with very little modification. Is there somewhere that details what year has what tranny and what might be interchangeable?

Back