4R55E Tranny problem, shudder, slip | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R55E Tranny problem, shudder, slip

zipichewco

Reaction score
City, State
phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
4R55E Trans problem, shudder, slip

Hi;

I'm having a problem with our 96 Explorer transmission again, it was rebuilt 5yrs ago at 63k now has 121k. (Supposedly, a valvebody with all new solenoids was installed to fix an intermittent flashing O/D light I had afterwards)

Two weeks ago it would flash the O/D when putting it in park and waiting a while but no driveablility issues except some shudder sometimes.

Now the sequence goes like this: On the highway it begins to shudder and slip at 65 when the TC locks up, if I push the O/D button off it all seems ok. After coming off the freeway it seems to slip from 2-3, and will get in gear if I ease up on it.

Will set Code 756 solenoid b performance or stuck off, and once had a pending Code 761 solenoid c performance or stuck off. After it's parked I can startup and everything seems fine, no codes etc driving short distances around town. It seems to start slipping after it warms up.

I plan on dropping the pan, replacing the 6qt of fluid and maybe checking the valvebody torque 85 in/lb? And will be probably bringing it into a shop on monday, it's because of that work thing we all have to do.

A long time ago I rebuilt a C4 with a B&M kit. I'm willing to look at the valve body and put a shift kit in but don't know which way to go with it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated? I'm in the Phoenix area if anyone has any shops to recommend.

Thanks
Rich P.
96 Explorer 4wd 4r55e
rebuilt at 63k (intermediate band broke at anchor) now has 121k
Phoenix area

Shudder problems are most always (never say never ...never say always) TC related. In the electronically controlled and modulated TCC solenoids, solenoid proper operation is pretty important. In the 4R55 and 5R55, the first thing you check is most always electrical concerns. The Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid (EPC) is an item that seems to wear out. While I have not heard a lot of complaints about the TCC solenoid, it makes sense it might need replacement along the road too.

At a shop, the tests should be the pinpoint tests C,D and F as in the FORD manual. This checks electrically the: 1) TCC solenoid, the 2) Digital transmission range sensor (tells the puter what gear you are in) and the 3) turbine shaft speed sensor. You should also check the internal wiring harness.....in other words there is a high probability this is electronic in origin.

Ok should all that prove out ok...then we get to valve body issues... not exclusively but high probability items are ... screws out of torque spec... sep plate gasket torn or leaking, sep plate damaged, TCC solenoid and valve (bore 200) and converter clutch control valve (bore 201) and even possibly the thermostat by pass valve (yeah they got one of those) (bore 216) ...lastly the pump itself could be bad, as could the Torque convertor.

Pressure readings can further isolate or eliminate some candidates.

Hope this helps (sorry if it seemed a little technical, probably more for the shop techs than you)

I got the same problem , I change my tranny 7 month ago and a few weeks ago the O/D flash and C/E with the code P0761 so I change the solenoid C no more C/E light on but still the same problem no more O/D so I think to check all the electrical wirring from the pcm to the tranny (around 14 wires). If I can resolve the problem well I will put a manual 5 speed of Mazda in it.

The saga continues

When I dropped the pan to change the fluid I found a whole bunch of metal chips, pieces of roller bearing and bronze glitter in the pan. Changing the fluid helped the shudder and slipping but I knew that I needed a rebuild.

Now after the rebuild I get a code for Solenoid A Performance or stuck off. Took it back and the shop changed the solenoid, but its acting the same way like it's slipping in first and giving me the same code.

Back