• Register Today It's free!

4R55E Transgo/Sonnax fix problems

Reaction score
City, State
Camino, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
4R55E Transgo/Sonnax fix problems - RESOLVED

Hi - I bought a 1995 Explorer with the 4R55E transmission and it was having the 2-3 flare problem, otherwise the transmission was fine. After reading this forum I decided to install the Transgo kit and the Sonnax boost valve. I also installed a new reverse servo D-ring kit. I just got back from my test ride and I've managed to mess things up big time. The good news is reverse works fine but I now have a transmission that sticks in first until you let off the gas and then shifts directly into third. I also have no overdrive. I cannot get second gear if I try to select it manually with the shifter when I try to start out in second or downshifting to decelerate to second. HELP.

I forgot to mention that the O/D light is NOT blinking.

Called the Transgo tech line and was told that they had never heard of this problem before and that I should pull the valve body back out and call them and they would try to help me figure out what was wrong. I asked if there were any areas in particular I should be checking and they said no, just call us back when you have the valve body out. Not very promising...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Try to retorque the valve body bolts. Did you replace other parts, like the VB gaskets (they now have bonded separator plates), EPC solenoid, and the side cap kit with the O rings?

Since the only problem the trans had was the 2-3 flare I didn't change anything else out. I did use new VB gaskets, trans filter and pan gasket.

So I pulled everything back off and I did find one valve plug retainer not correctly in place on the forward modulator valve. When I installed the orange spring on this guy from the kit I pulled the valve plug retainer out to move things around so I could clean things as best as possible. When I reinstalled it I put the retainer in in such a way that the EPC boost valve was stuck. I need to go get more fluid and give it another go.

Resolved

It turned out to be the valve plug retainer not correctly in place on the forward modulator valve. It's shifting fine now and no more 2-3 flare. This turned out to be a whole lot cheaper than the $2,400 the transmission shop quoted me!

I am putting this Explorer together for my son from two 95's I picked up from a neighbor. I am done picking parts of the donor vehicle and have a 4R55E transmission that was causing the O/D light to blink when it tried to go into overdrive. If you turn off overdrive you don't get the problem. Anyhow I was reading in this forum that one of you is looking for a 5R55E to overhaul - if your interested in a 4R55E let me know. The left side of the donor car is wrecked but the hood, rear and entire right side are good if anyone is interested in them as well.

Glad I found this site, what a wealth of info.

Thanks for updating us with your information. There are a few other people on this site that are knowledgeable about rebuilding valve bodies, now we have another! You could now answer questions from people that are working on valve bodies. If you want to sell some parts, you could post them in the parts for sale section. Try to send Glacier991 a PM, or email. Maybe he might be interested. He's on vacation now, but checks in. I sent him a PM about something a couple of weeks ago, so I guess he will check his messages when he comes back. I'm not sure of the exact day when he will be back.

Back