4R55E Transmission loose parts in the pan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R55E Transmission loose parts in the pan

derickl

Reaction score
City, State
milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 xploder
Hi. Working on my wifes 1996 explorer xlt 4.0 4x4 daily driver with shifting issue. I dropped the trans oil pan to change the fluid and filter. These parts were loose in there. I can't figure out where they go, can't find on the diagram. I swapped the seperator plate gaskets and filter, closed it up and added 3 qts mercon v. Now it won't shift out of park. Must be a shift fork. Anybody know where it came from/how to fix it? Thanks.
100_1989.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is part of the band and the apply strut rod. You have major internal repairs coming.
What gear is missing?

anchor strut

I'm not familiar with the 4R55E but the piece on the right looks like the intermediate or front band anchor strut in my 5R55E. I assume the piece on the left is broken off the intermediate or front band.

If it won't shift out of Park you may not have engaged the manual control lever inner pin with the detent on the manual valve rod.
Cog.jpg

It must be engaged while raising the valve body into position prior to tightening any valve body bolts.

Second gear is missing but it has been like that for as long as I have owned it. I did make sure the shift pin is in the slot. Is it possible the reverse servo is stuck? I heard it shift into reverse one time when I ran through the gears.

Fluid capacity is 9.9 qts. I topped it off and it runs again. The broken parts are from the od band. Thanks for the help guys.

Back