4r70w fluid.

TR2002

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello everyone.

I have searched and found mixed results. It is getting a bit frustrating at this point.

I have a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer AWD with a 4r70w tranny. The truck has exactly 89009 miles on it.

The tranny seems to be missing shifts between 3-4 and feels like it is grinding and shutters the truck a bit. If you give it more gas, it will go, but when it shifts sometimes it seems to just hang and shutter and vibrate for a few seconds and then it will go. This also sometimes happends on the 2-3 shift as well.

Also, it will shutter while in 4th <OD??> at low RPM cruise speed, say 1500 rpm and 45-50 mph.

I am gonna do a flush anf filter on it tomorrow, but keep searching up mixed information about fluid for this thing!

Some places say Mercon V

Some say Mercon

Some say Dexron III

this is a 1997, the same year Ford started using Mercon V in their 4r70w/AOD-E transmissions, so my question is, does the 1997 4r70w use MErcon, or Mercon V?

Also, i will take any input on the shutter/shift problems i have been having. This is my wifes truck and she will remove the ballz if i dont get it fixed LOL.

Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should use Mercon V..

thankyou for the input!

any ideas on the shuddering?

im thinking and hoping its just TC shudder :mad:

Have you considered going full synthetic? Amsoil, for example.

well, yes i have, but it is rather expencive to do so, and this vehicle isnt a performance driven vehicle. Altho i know the better synthetic fluids will always be a plus.

I am just thinking of using valvoline opr penzoil Mercon V or Maxlife fluid.

What i am looking for is solid operation and reliablility. Its my wifes truck and i want it to stay moving for her.

I put Royal Purple, Redline and Amsoil fluids in my mustangs, but they are a different story, and all have Manual trannies.

I am lost to these 4r70w's. Might as well be japaneese. Iv never owned an automatic vehicle :D

ok, had a stroke of genious and went out and looked on the damn dipstick.

says plain as day, "USE MERCON"

doesnt say Mercon V, so im off to get 14 quarts of MErcon ATF.

thanks guys!

Nate

I would use Mercon V for sure.

welp, for this specific year, Mercon V was not recomended.

It says to use regular Mercon right on the dipstick. And the ford owners manual says to use regular Mercon ATF. No mention of Mercon V anywhere.

i went back and exchanged the 14 Quarts of Maxlife for 14 quarts of Mabil 1 fully synthetic Mercon ATF.

I am doing the flush and fill with this Mobil 1 tomorrow, with a new filter and i will be checking the bands and all the torque specs on the valve body etc etc. I may also upgrade the transmission cooler as well with a better unit as well. Maybe a B&M cooler or the like, or even add a second cooler to the system. I do know 1 thing about auto trannies. The cooler the better for long service life.

thanks for all the input everyone.

Nate

i was plannin on just using a couple steps i read on here.

please, if you would, tell me the best way to replace the filter and get all the old fluid out of the transmission and torque converter without running the car with no fluid. or link me to a good procedure for this.

i get the idea. you need to add fluid while you drain fluid with the engine running at idle to pump the old out.

Can i just drop the pan, drain the tranny, then pop the plug on the torque converter and let it drain, then put the new filter in, put the pan back on and replace the TC plug and then put 6 quarts in and start it up and let it idle and add fluid till the dipstick reads the correct level?

man now i see why i love my T-56 and G force T-5's

so damn easy to work on and much more reliable!

can ya tell i am a manual mustang man yet? :D

Dropping the pan and refilling will take about 4 quarts.

That procedure is not a flush, The flush is simple 15-30 min job and removes and replaces almost all of the fluid.

aldive said:
Dropping the pan and refilling will take about 4 quarts.

That procedure is not a flush, The flush is simple 15-30 min job and removes and replaces almost all of the fluid.

please do detail this procedure. or do you have a good link that entails this process?

thanks for your help Al. I do appretiate it.

I have an auxillary filter transmission filter ( spin on ) on my system, so the procedure below is for that. If you do not have this extra filter, and its a great idea to have one, you will have to simply disconnect the two lines from the tranny to the radiator to do it. Take a look at the gollowing thread about the extra filter: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34136&highlight=secondary+transmission+filter

I disconnected the "to transmission" hose from my remote filter housing. I plugged and clamped the disconnected line and added and hose clamped a 6 ft length of 3/8? line to the housing. The other end went into a calibrated water jug ( 1 gal size ).

Ctank the truck and let idle. As 1 quart is pumped out, add a new one.

We used 15 quarts of Amsoil ATF.

Even though this ATF ( Mobil 1 ) has about 40 k miles on it, it still looked remarkably good, slightly darker in color.

After the flush/fill was completed, I added a new K & N filter to the housing and reattached the hoses.

The procedure took my son and I about 20 minutes to complete. There was no mess since we were well prepared for the flush; nary a drop was spilled.

Good luck .....

excellant.

i can definitly handle that lol. Iv had my hands in grease for the better part of 20 years but i rarely work on auto's.

Now heres a question. I am replacing the inner filter with this.

Should i just drop the pan, and drain the 4 or so quarts that reside in there, and then put the pan back on and do the flush process? Or do you think that the fluid lost from dropping the pan will damage the tranny if the truck is started and allowed to idle while i begin the flush process?

Or should i put the pan back on and put 4 more quarts in before starting the flush process?

i have 4 quarts of El chgeap-o ATF layin in the garage to use to substitute just till i start adding the new stuff.

Drop the pan, change filter, replace pan, replace the drained fluid( ~ 4 quarts ), then do the flush.

thanks what i was thinking.

I also just ordered the filter kit as well.

very good advice and a very cheap bit of insurance.

thanks for leading me onto that Al. Much appretiated!

What do you think about a second tranny cooler inline with the OE equipment cooler? I do know that the cooler an auto tranny runs the better off it is and the longer it lasts. I also know, that if you overcool an engine it will not lubricate correctly and could stand to fail earlier. What are your thoughts and opinions on that?

Nate

To fix the OD/3rd gear shudder, you'll need a new valve from Baumann. The part is cheap (about $30), but you'll have to remove the valve body to get to it. Since you're in there, you can install a shift kit, new seals and gaskets, and replace all the fluids and filters.

I just did mine about 10k miles ago. Shifts great.

I did a huge write up on it not too long ago.

You do need to use Mercon V (5). If not, well... a new trans is about $2k. Mercon V is a semi-synthetic blend that helps protect the trans from the heat they generate.

Do a search for "Baumann Shift Kit review"...

-Brad

There was a "half step" in the 97 model 4R70W. Some will use mercIII, some will use V. If it says III on the dipstick, then III will be just fine.

welp, i flushed the system today and filled it with Mobil 1 Mercon full synthetic ATF. also changed the filter, and re torqued the valve body bolts to 8 ft pounds.

Instant improvement. No more TC shudder and smooth accurate shifts.

Next thing on the To Do list is the remote filter and a second tranny cooler.

thanks again for all the help.

PS: the dipstick said "USE MERCON" so i used Mercon, and NOT Mercon V.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back