• Register Today It's free!

hard 1st shift

laybac

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 limited AWD V8
this is my first post and i hope i put it in the right place, so please bare with me.
im new to the ford explorer world. but i have a vast knowledge of cars/and trucks. i have had my explorer for 2 weeks now. i have noticed that when im in neutral (parked or at a traffic light; explorer is manual tranny as well) and want to go to first gear, its kind of hard to shift it in first gear. i have to struggle a bit to get it in first gear. when driving, i have no problems shifting through all other gears. it only does this when im at a complete stop and place in neutral. anyone have any ideas what could be the problem here before i get down and dirty on it? thx in advance!

The slave cylinder (part of the clutch system) is a common part to fail on these trannys. It usually goes bad slowly over a long period of time, making it progressively harder to shift into gears.
I suggest you search the board here for "slave cylinder" and do some reading.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

The slave cylinder (part of the clutch system) is a common part to fail on these trannys. It usually goes bad slowly over a long period of time, making it progressively harder to shift into gears.
I suggest you search the board here for "slave cylinder" and do some reading.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

thx for the info!

Back