4R70W Rebuild Diary - Part 15 - PUMP PREPARATION & INSTALLATION | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R70W Rebuild Diary - Part 15 - PUMP PREPARATION & INSTALLATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
MODIFYING THE PUMP and PUMP INSTALLATION

The pump serves as the case end plug. Hence it sets the front case clearance limits. It does this by use of a plastic thrust washer. If you came here via the logical progression you know how we measured for that, otherwise you need to go back one step and read up in the pump end clearance thread - here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160708

Before we install the pump, we need to enlarge an oil feed hole on it first. This is a new pump, and I prefer to use new ones, so it will need modifying...There are three holes... here they are, the BIG arrow points to the one we will enlarge

DSCN7088.JPG

That innermost one needs to go to .092 or at least something close to that.. Here is the enlarged the one in our brand new pump

DSCN7089.JPG

I am short circuiting discussing the metal sealing rings, as this is a brand new pump and came with them. I will come back later and augment this thread on this point.

Anyway before I drop the pump in I will lube the rings on the snout (which ride in bushings in the reverse drum) well with vaseline...

DSCN7090.JPG

And there is a new outer sealing ring we added that should be lubed as well... here it is.... pretty yellow band and all...

DSCN7085.JPG

and we lube it

DSCN7092.JPG

Time now to add the thrust washer we selected. I add a little extra vaseline to hold in in place.... (see right hand arrow.) I also make sure the tab goes into the right place.. you CANNOT SCREW THIS UP. I dare ya. (left double headed arrow)

DSCN7093.JPG

Here it is all installed. This is a good time to double check the tightness of these stator bolts. we are looking for a torque range of 12-16 ft lbs on em.

DSCN7094.JPG

Now place the paper gasket. A little vaseline will hold it in place....

DSCN7083.JPG

SHOW TIME. Time to align the pump.... take your time, the holes only align one way... and once you drop it it is a little tough to realign much... TAKE YOUR TIME. Here we have dropped ours in place.... (pulling it back out requires that you insert bolts in the two threaded holes and pull - it ain't fun...so take your time on this part!

DSCN7095.JPG

Oh, before I forget... FORD PART NUMBER: YL3P-7A105-AA. List price $238.

DSCN7097.JPG

Once in it needs to be drawn down by gently snugging the bolts .. going around in a star pattern... here are the bolts installed

DSCN7100.JPG

and a closeup .. see on the edge lip how it has been drawn down into the case ?

DSCN7101.JPG

Now I remove all the bolts and I will add a bit of sealant along their length.... where they pass thru the gasket... like so...

DSCN7104.JPG

And with that I reinstall them all finger tight...

DSCN7103.JPG

and after a few runs at gentle tightening I set the torque wrench for 20 ft lbs... (trust me it was 20, parallax makes it look higher, but even it it was it is ok, this is NOT an exact science here)

DSCN7105.JPG

So I went through and gently torqued everything.. using a star pattern, to 20 ft lbs..

DSCN7106.JPG

Here the pump is, installed....

DSCN7107.JPG

As Perry Mason might have said... CASE CLOSED !!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back