• Register Today It's free!

4r70w woes..seriously.

ahuggins6

Reaction score
City, State
New Boston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer 4.0 auto
I bought an expy cheap that had new tires and battery, but the tranny is bad. Has no forward movement at all, but some reverse (probably not enough fluid to make the clutches grab...?? (BTW I'm not a transmission man.. YET) I'm afraid to add fluid for fear that it'll run straight out. The bottom of the truck is covered in fluid from them driving it when it was already done for, but the top of the tranny only has fluid around the vent hole. This is my question so far: what could cause the fluid to blow out the vent hole?

I pulled the pan tonight and didn't see any real metal shavings. Maybe just normal wear on a tranny with 118K miles and no fluid changes.

THanks for any help I can get guys.

So... I proceeded to pull the transmission today, and found that the front U joint is completely shot. This would lead the tail housing extension whatchamacallit seal to leak because it was so badly out of balance and the bushing is so worn. Once the thing got low enough of fluid the drive clutches went out. Also, the tail housing gasket had a chunk blown out leaving the thing to leak when I tried to put fluid in it to troubleshoot it for myself. I pulled the tail housing, replaced with one from another transmission that was in better condition, refilled with fluid, only to find that I have lots of solid "back up" (foot on brake, revving in reverse) but absolutely no "go." (forward). So the reverse band is intact, but the forward stuff is not working. I guess this means that it's time for a rebuild?

The other transmission i got the tail housing from supposedly would not lock into gear at highway speeds. So my uncle switched it for a good one and left this one here. If I can fix the problem with that one (something says it will be an easy fix, research to come) I will stab that one in place of this bad one, and deal with it later.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas??

You might be able to make a functional transmission from those two. You probaly need a good repair manual for that transmission.
Ane a repair kit maybe?

I bought a 99 4 wheel drive with no forward movement and reverse working also...thought maybe it could be the solenoid but have not checked it yet..........

Back