4WD lights Flashing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD lights Flashing

whats the brown wire mod? cause i have a mud drag coming up and i need the 4x4 to work fast!... and dude your a baller! your answers are great! your like the explorer god

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgot to mention that according to the info in the link above the brown wire mod will give you 4WD Hi and, if you use a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch, 2WD Lo.

I don't think you'll have 4WD Lo available but don't know that for a fact.

search is always your friend especially when you forget... :)

so im not really sure, but i know i have a 1995 ford explorer 5 speed manuel that us 2wd all the time not 4x4 auto and im not really sure if this brown wire mod sounds ligit. how will it go back into 2wd after i turn the switch back off? this seems okey

I'm confident the mod is legit but think it would actually work best on 97-01's that use a slightly different system. My concern on a 95 is you won't have access to 4Lo unless you turn off the brown wire mod switch and use the factory dash switch to select 4Lo. Probably not a big deal mudding because you can't switch to 4Lo with the truck moving anyway.

But to use the system in 4Lo you'll have to fix the problem with the factory system and the flashing lights.

The advantage of the mod seems that you would have full-time 4WD and not just the system deciding when you need it and engaging it.

Turning off the mod switches and returning the dash switch to 2WD will return the system to two-wheel drive, disconnect the front axle, etc.

Okay so... heres the deal. i found my 95 explorer in a field that it was sitting in for about 4 years covered in black berries. We hauled it back to my shop and fired it up and got it going. the only way that it would move under its own power was to put it in 4lo and mob it because the flange on the back of the transfercase was stripped out completly. so after i got it on the hoist i replaced the flange and it worked great. and it now finally drove in 2wd with no worries... then i procided to put it back on the hoist put 33's a 3 inch body lift, 2" torsion keys, and a sound system in it and now the 4x4 lights are blinking uncomtrolably. i just got done checking all the fuses again and nothing was blown, checked the gem behind the deck and all surrounding wires to see if there was a possible ground that i didnt hook back up. also ive been under the truck a few times now and the only thing that i could see that was unplugged was 2 lil vacume lines that goe into the top of the front diff. i put them back and it still seems like nothing is working :[ i really need some help.. and fast also think unplugging my batterie would reset it?

Also, when the key is turned on and you put it in 4hi you hear a pop coming from that lil fuse box under the air box, also those 2 vacume lines that come from the top of the front diff go to the little moduel next to the relay box, also what are those relays for? i google the part numbers and the only one that came up was a air bag relay... thanks for the help

Those two vacuum lines on the front diff connect to the vacuum shift motor. That motor is the Center Axle Disconnect. The vacuum lines go to the Electronic Vacuum Control Module that you mentioned is next to the relay box.

I'm finding it's nearly impossible to find good info on the net about the 95s. Worse is most of the time the info seems to be wrong.

I've also spent the last two hours trying to find a 95 Owner's Manual, no luck, the oldest I could find was for a 96 from the Ford Fleet website. In a 96 the box under the air filter box is the Engine Compartment Relay Module #2 containing two relays for the heater blower, washer pump relay, and the fog lamp relay. Nothing related to 4WD though so I don't know what you're hearing pop when you switch to 4Hi. Is it possible you're hearing the Electronic Vacuum Control Module switching vacuum to the Centre Axle Disconnect vacuum motor??

The manual for my 99 doesn't even show that box but I know it's there. I found it by accident when I wasn't getting power to my blower motor and resorted to tracing wires.

so as of october 3rd at about 8 pm i finally got the 4hi and lo to work and the lights to stop flashing. I ended up taking out the headliner during the lil resteration because snakes took over the entire vehicle and left snake skins everywere! so i took out the carpet headliner....etc but i saw that i must have barly sliced the wire going to my dome light with a razor blade and it shorted out the dome light fuse. so i fixed the wire and changed the fuse from a 15a to 20a now ill be wheeling real soon. thanks for all your advice though!

Wow. A dome light fuse took out your 4WD?? I'm really surprised and going to take another look at the diagrams. More and more I'm having doubts about the accuracy of the Ford Workshop Manual on DVD I've got.

Thanks for letting us all know. Could be valuable info for anybody else running into the flashing light problem.

I know this is an old thread but wanted other folks to know that the - batt disconnect for 20-30 minutes fixed my flashing od-4hi-4lo lights. Thanks again for a great forum.

Back