• Register Today It's free!

4wd issue

Barton Cecil

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xls
I'm having 4ed issues, there was binding going on in the front end, so I took the front drive shaft off and it stopped. Anyone know more on how to further diagnose it? I have a 2001 xls. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it the V8 with AWD or V6 with 4WD?

Also, need amplifying info on what you mean by ‘binding’

Having been thru this myself, more likely than not you've got internal transfer case problems. Check your fluid level, make sure the motor is working, pull and clean the Hall's sensors and verify there are no problems with the wiring starting from the dash switch. After that, it's probably time to drop the transfer case and inspect.

Is it the V8 with AWD or V6 with 4WD?

Also, need amplifying info on what you mean by ‘binding’
V6 4wd, and it was like somthing was not letting the wheel go, as if it was in 4wd. That's the best way I can explain it, and like I mentioned it stopped when I removed the front drive shaft

Having been thru this myself, more likely than not you've got internal transfer case problems. Check your fluid level, make sure the motor is working, pull and clean the Hall's sensors and verify there are no problems with the wiring starting from the dash switch. After that, it's probably time to drop the transfer case and inspect.
I'm kinda figuring that it's a t-case issue but I'll check those prior to having to do surgery, many thanks on the info.

Back