4WD Selector Switch confusion

Jody Breeze

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland Ms 38732
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT
4.0 OHV
hello everyone. I have a question concerning my 4WD selector switch. I read somewhere in the forum where the 97 and up explorers had the auto/4high/4low. I have a 96 explorer 4.0 ohv and my switch does not have 2WD option it is like the 97 and up auto/4high/4low so my question is do I really have the auto and 4 high choice opposed to the 2WD and 4 auto. I know both set ups have the 4 low just curious as to why I have a 96 model with auto and 4 high option. I know for sure I have the CAD on the front axle and the vacuum IWE solenoids by passenger headlight. I never really feel the fronts kick in when I spin the backs and my truck stays in auto on the highway and pretty sure I have non limited slip rear end. So which set up do I have? Is this control trac?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello everyone. I have a question concerning my 4WD selector switch. I read somewhere in the forum where the 97 and up explorers had the auto/4high/4low. I have a 96 explorer 4.0 ohv and my switch does not have 2WD option it is like the 97 and up auto/4high/4low so my question is do I really have the auto and 4 high choice opposed to the 2WD and 4 auto. I know both set ups have the 4 low just curious as to why I have a 96 model with auto and 4 high option. I know for sure I have the CAD on the front axle and the vacuum IWE solenoids by passenger headlight. I never really feel the fronts kick in when I spin the backs and my truck stays in auto on the highway and pretty sure I have non limited slip rear end. So which set up do I have? Is this

hello everyone. I have a question concerning my 4WD selector switch. I read somewhere in the forum where the 97 and up explorers had the auto/4high/4low. I have a 96 explorer 4.0 ohv and my switch does not have 2WD option it is like the 97 and up auto/4high/4low so my question is do I really have the auto and 4 high choice opposed to the 2WD and 4 auto. I know both set ups have the 4 low just curious as to why I have a 96 model with auto and 4 high option. I know for sure I have the CAD on the front axle and the vacuum IWE solenoids by passenger headlight. I never really feel the fronts kick in when I spin the backs and my truck stays in auto on the highway and pretty sure I have non limited slip rear end. So which set up do I have? Is this control trac?
Sorry about the small print still figuring that out

IDK for certain but my best guess is that your 4WD selector switch has been replaced with the wrong one from a later model year vehicle, and no you don't have control trac.

Holy tiny font size batman

IDK for certain but my best guess is that your 4WD selector switch has been replaced with the wrong one from a later model year vehicle, and no you don't have control trac.
Thanks for the info. So I'm assuming my switch should look like this.

Screenshot_20230706_152008_Gallery.jpg

I have my browser set to a larger minimum font size than that, so I didn't even notice until both of you stated something.

Yes, AFAIK, that is the switch you're supposed to have... unless I'm wrong. ;)

Puzzling is that I assume the prior owner did this as some sort of *repair* and then I wonder, what the heck was s/he thinking? I'd pull the bezel panel out and see how, if at all, the switch is connected.

Yes, the pic you posted is the label readout you are supposed to have, surely that label piece pops right out with flat head...junkyard.
And 99% sure you DO have control-trac on your '96.
To see if you have limited slip check your drivers door sticker...IF under AXLE it has any of these you DO (D1 - D5, L73) ....If it just has number 41 - 46 you DON'T.
D1L/S 8.8″32003.27
D2L/S 8.8″32004.10
D4L/S 8.8″32003.73
D5L/S 8.8″32003.55
L73L/S 8.8″32003.73

*Go out to a dirt field and try 4 LOW (never test on dry pavement!) If it's working you'll FEEL the grab-n-go in front when punching it a bit.

Maybe I don't understand what qualifies as Control Trac. I thought it didn't have it because:

Jody Breeze said:
I know for sure I have the CAD on the front axle and the vacuum IWE solenoids by passenger headlight.

Controltrac had the vacuum disconnect front ends in 95-96. This is almost certainly 2 high, 4 auto, 4 low, and someone replaced the bezel because of the coating flaking off.

I was at junkyard today and glancing at 4WD Explorer I remembered you NEEDED THIS! .... Message me your address and I'll send it out...free...just pay shipping via paypal...maybe $2..... might not even bother with that....
4WD INDICATOR.jpg

Back