4x4 and overdrive problems in my 02 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 and overdrive problems in my 02 Explorer XLT

PonyGirlGT95

Reaction score
City, State
Bridgeport, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I am having a problem with both my 4x4 and my overdrive in my 02 Explorer XLT. The transmission was rebuilt in November and the truck has just under 160K miles on it.

Lets start with the overdrive; it will not come out of overdrive. I press the button and nothing happens - no light, nothing. Could this be related to the trans rebuild, or is it something else?

As for the 4x4, the 4x4 Auto light comes on when slipping (it happened back in Feb/March during the ONLY snow storm that I took it out in. But the truck never actually went into 4WD.

Also, I don't know if its related to either of these problems, but when I'm getting on the highway and need to accelerate hard to get on, the truck doesn't want to shift at high rpm's. It'll go all the way up to 5K-5500rpm without the truck really increasing speed and strain until it finally shifts.

Please help?! :dunno:

transmission problem. take it back to the shop that did the rebuild.

When you are getting on the highway do you have it at WOT or pedal to the floor?
O/D you should be able to hit it while stopped what does that do? On Startup does the light come on (no burnt bulb).
4X4 they can have a failed module, shift motor are the most common.

Is this all related? i doubt it but could be.
If its still under warranty? If so i'd take it back to them first. Or if not, try and see if you can get anyone to pull codes? If it posted codes you can get an inclination of whats wrong.

Back