• Register Today It's free!

4X4 Control Module Replaced

stoogefan

Reaction score
City, State
Geneva, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I just successfully replaced my 4X4 Control Module in my 2002 Explorer XLT just in time for the late Chicago snow!

Just a couple of days ago, I decided to try the 4WD and nothing at all happened when I pushed the buttons. I checked the dash indicators that are supposed to light up when the key is placed in the run position before starting and noticed that none of the 4WD lights were coming on at all. My conclusion, after checking fuses 17 & 18 under the hood, was the control module was shot. I pulled the module out to jot down the part number (2C54-7H473-BD) and then went to http://www.fordparts.com to plug in my VIN and it came up with Motorcraft part# 7E453 (TM-118). I looked around and found the part at http://www.rockauto.com (listed under part# TM152 but referencing the TM-118 number) for $162 minus the 5% discount for being a member of this forum. The only local store I found it at was O’Reilly’s for around $260, so I ordered it yesterday from RockAuto with next-day shipping. It came in today at work and I went out and plugged it in, turned the key and now got the indicator lights, started it and I now have 4WD just in time for the snow! The new one has the Ford part# 2C54-7H417-BJ on the label. (Mine does not have Control Trac).

I recommend looking up parts at fordparts.com to get the correct number (using your VIN) and to get an idea of the dealer cost.

Excuse the long post, but this is my first one and I have a lot to get off of my chest!

I purchased the Explorer a few weeks ago from a small independent dealer “AS IS”, knowing that it needed new tires and rear applique plus probably a few other things that were not apparent. It was an unseasonably warm day when we took it for a test drive and, after purchasing it, I drove it from the dealer a few miles to pick my daughter up from college. On the way home that evening, we discovered that the heater didn’t work (blend door actuator and fresh air/recirc door problems), the O/D light starts flashing, and the air bag light comes up after my daughter adjusted the passenger seat. It sucks to be me! The next day, I found that both rear springs were broken and when I brought it in for tires and an alignment, I found out that I needed brakes and one upper ball joint. I had the Firestone shop do the ball joint and alignment in addition to the tires, leaving the brakes and rear struts to me. It really sucks to be me!

This site has been invaluable to me in performing repairs and for planning on those yet to do!

Problems to date (since 12/23/11):
  • Blend door actuator – Replaced with part from Ford Dealer.
  • Fresh air/Recirc Door – Pulled the door out and temporarily plugged up the cowl openings. (Waiting for warm weather for a permanent fix).
  • Tires – Firestone Destination A/T (Also purchased lifetime alignment)
  • Upper Right Ball Joint – Replaced by tire shop.
  • Rear Struts – Replaced with Monroe Quick-Struts from RockAuto.
  • Brakes – Replaced all four corners with Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors and pads from RockAuto.
  • Air Bag Light – Messed with the connectors under passenger seat and all seems okay now!
  • Flashing O/D Light (P0741 TCC Performance or stuck off) – Ordered a TransGo Shift Kit and will pull valve body and check TCC solenoid resistance.
  • 4X4CM - Replaced with Motorcraft TM-152 from RockAuto.
  • Rear Differential Whine – Replaced fluid. Now it is slightly less noisy and will have to wait until summer.
  • Rear Applique – Waiting for warm weather to deal with that one.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Looks like you have been busy! Nice job on the repairs. :biggthump

Back