4x4 engaging at will | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 engaging at will

Blylock

Reaction score
i have a 93 explorer, i love this truck. recently it has been engaging 4wd anywhere, anytime, any speed. when i notice it bucking, almost like one side is engaged, the other not, i hit the button to fully engage the 4x4. now im forced to keep it in 4wd all the time due to high speed auto engaging im suffering from. any pushes in the right direction would be helpful...

Adam

Originally posted by Blylock
i have a 93 explorer, i love this truck. recently it has been engaging 4wd anywhere, anytime, any speed. when i notice it bucking, almost like one side is engaged, the other not, i hit the button to fully engage the 4x4. now im forced to keep it in 4wd all the time due to high speed auto engaging im suffering from. any pushes in the right direction would be helpful...

Adam
One thing you might want to check is your ball joints,when bad,they can cause the hub to ingage(from the angle the tire change) also check the hub,make sure its got lots of grease it might be just seized. I had the ball joint problem .

I have a 94 limited. Having the same problem. Intermittenly the hubs lock up when in 2WD. Balljoints and wheel bearings are good. Any other ideas? It does it at slow speeds and fast speeds. Sometimes going straight, more often when turning. When it happens it is ugly, partial engaging/grinding. I do not think it is the auto locking hubs (gut feeling).

It is happening often enough now that am afraid to drive in 2WD. Almost better to go in 4WD to lock hubs, then disegage and just pull the driveshaft and front axles so I don't get this ugly grinding.

If I do use 4WD it is fine, no unusual noise or unusual vibrations and hubs do lock and unlock as they should. I would think if front axle ujoints are tight I would notice vibrations in 4WD. Only 40K on vehicle. Anybody know if you can completely remove both front shafts without taking apart front differential?

Any ideas here?

Back