• Register Today It's free!

4x4 high grinding sound..03'

jwright4

Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
So the newest problem i'm facing with my 03 is if i have it in 4x4high and i'm coming to a stop i hear a really loud grinding sound coming from the front left and starts to pull to the left. It sounds like a bunch of metal grinding together and the tone of the sound changes as i slow down. it doesn't start until 20mph as i'm coasting to a stop. It's more of a high pitched sound. it is only doing it when i have it in 4x4High. I also notice i hear this noise very slightly when i accelerate while it's out of 4x4high and just on auto. Has anyone experienced this before? or have any insight on what it could be? I have an appt on friday with ford. just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Jay
Albany NY
03 Explorer XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jay,
Wild ass guess: Streatched chain in transfer case? :( What's the fluid in there look like? Hope not, but let us know.

hmmm hopefully not that bad lol...any other ideas??

Could it be a bearing that grinds on the extra stress of being in 4WD?
Cheap brake pads?
Just throwing ideas out...

I missed the part about it pulling to the left when the grinding noise occurs in 4WD. That does sound like it's external from the TC and maybe from a front axle bearing??

i had that front left hub replaced last year... it's deffinitely something with the 4x4 because it doesn't do it in auto. pads and rotors were replaced this summer so i know i can rule that out.....plus it's not a sound you'd hear from brakes.....it's really loud

just an update for those interested: I need a new transfer case. :mad: Very thankful though for the warranty I have.. :)

Hi, I'm new to this. I think we have the same problem. I just picked it up from a transmission place as I wanted to make sure it wasn't a flexplate or something to do with the transmission that was causing the noise. The guy told me it wasn't the flexplate or did it need a new torque converter. He suggested I take the car back to my mechanic and have them look at the pulleys and what not. I've just logged on and looked up grinding noises and came across this post.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290215&highlight=Grinding+noise

Have a read it's interesting. I'll try this and let you know if my noise goes away or not.

Good luck!!!

Back