4x4 Light flashing and front binding 02 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Light flashing and front binding 02 Explorer

Schamattack

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello Guys,

Facing a weird issue, my 4x4 light is flashing 8 times every 2 or so minutes and when I turn my truck sharp left (at slow speeds) it seems to howl loudly and kind skip. It only does the howling/skipping the first 5 minutes or so of driving then seems to be find but the 4x4 flashing never stops. I DID replace my 4x4 Module with a direct OEM replacement and it had no effect, same issues. I am starting to think the 2 issues might be separate? Maby fluid needs to be changed in the front Diff? Speed sensor or something for the 4x4 flashing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does your Ex have automatic 4wd? If so, assuming it works the same as a 2nd gen, the issue is likely a hall effect sensor. Sounds exactly like the symptoms I was facing earlier this year. Bad sensor causes 4wd to constantly be on, which is also causing the binding in low speed turns. Then after a couple minutes the computer realizes the sensor is bad and shuts it off. I would recommend finding the 4wd fuse and unplugging it for now to avoid any damage to your transfer case.

Here's a link to the sensors on RockAuto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2002,explorer,4.0l+v6,1377660,electrical,speed+sensor,10634

Thanks for the advice, I will go ahead and try to order one this week! I did a little research but cant seem to pin point where exactly the Sensor is located. Transfer case?

I will also note that it does do it going right, I tried this morning and could heard it binding up.

Yeah it'll bind up both ways, sounds exactly like what happened to mine. The Standard Motor Products SC633 (Sorry, can't link directly to it on mobile for some reason) looks the most similar to the sensor I replaced, too. In that case it was located on the back of the transfer case. Here's a pic:

S2gxEiV.jpg

Keep in mind it says it's for the 2-speed transfer case, I'm just assuming we have similar setups.

So I disconnected the 4x4CL module and it no longer binds, feels really smooth and good. Took it for a short drive but def made a different. Points towards sensors as you mentioned.

Back