4x4 problems after repalcing shift motor - FIXED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 problems after repalcing shift motor - FIXED

agobbie

Reaction score
City, State
phoenix, az
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Hullo !

93 explorer 4x4 - after readinga few things I tried tapping on the shift motor and could hear the 4x4 trying to engage - however I ended up blowing the fuse and paritally having it stuck in 4 wheel drive.

I replaced the fuse and shift motor and now I get nothing at all - at this point I am stuck and needing help, anyone have any ideas ???

Also I have a heating problem - the heater takes a whle to heat and then will stop working for a bit and start heating again ! Any ideas ??

Thanks !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have some questions. How exactly did you blow the fuse? when you replaced the shift motor was it new or a junkyard special? Did you read the shift motor rebuild thread @ the top of the forum? lots of good info and pics...

search on shift motor rebuild.

Blew the fuse, I think, by hitting the motor to hard and getting it jammed/stuck - it was trying to engage 4 wheel dive but was stuck somewhere in between - I got the motor from checker auto and yes I read the rebuild thread

Have you tried the 4x4 motor without it being on the xfer case? If it is getting stuck somewhere in the middle of engaging the t-case, you might have a problem in the t-case.
Trying engaging the 4x4 with out the motor. You would be able to turn the shaft with a good set of channel locks (careful not to chew the shaft up).

your heating issue could be a sticky t-stat. What does you temp gauge read when it is not heating?

Temp gauge reads just above the low line all the time

I had the same problem after rebuilding my shift motor. Granted I didn't stick it in 4wheel for a year, which was bad but, I too couldn't get it out of 4x4. So I got a new fuse and it did it again. I had to get a higher amp fuse. here is why, it is trying to pull out and is a bit stuck and the fuse doesn't have enough umph so it blows. but if you get a fuse that is 40 it will at least get it out of 4 wheel for you. It worked for me.

yikes!

Test the shifting of the shift motor, hooked up to the wiring harness but not mounted on the t case

make sure it reaches the full range as you push both buttons

Then put the shift motor in 2wd and the t case in 2wd, mount the shift motor and try again.

As stated the t case should shift with a pair of channel locks.

Once the motor is mounted the armature is adjustable, sometimes you have to adjust the armature to get the motor set in the correct spot so it will reach 2wd, 4hi and 4 low

Also check the wire pins at the big plug and at your fuse, replace the fuse with the 30 amp (I think) stock rated one, I do not suggest going to a higher amp fuse

the 4x4 shift system also has a built in self diagnosis, a button and a led light on the shift computer itself

I had the same problem after rebuilding my shift motor. Granted I didn't stick it in 4wheel for a year, which was bad but, I too couldn't get it out of 4x4. So I got a new fuse and it did it again. I had to get a higher amp fuse. here is why, it is trying to pull out and is a bit stuck and the fuse doesn't have enough umph so it blows. but if you get a fuse that is 40 it will at least get it out of 4 wheel for you. It worked for me.

OUCH... Fuses are rated to protect the vehicle wiring and not the shift motor... putting in a large fuse can easily cause the wiring to overheat, catch fire and then you'll be breaking out the marshmallows...

Got it Fixed thanks very much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here is what mine is doing my button on the dash won't lite at all when you push the 4wheel high it clicks in the box in the back but won't shift into 4wheel drive. the shift motor will shift freely when its not pluged in and you put power to the wirers. the red light in the back won't stay lite up but will light if you push the reset button on the bottom but can figure out why i don't have 4x4 at all can you help will tell you what ever you need to know just ask.

Your problem is addressed in the
Shift motor Rebuild thread. Basically the geared sensor on the shift motor has lost contact which will cause the 4x4 controller in the rear hatch to default to a no shift condition. Anyway lots of good info and pics for you to read...

Took the shift motor off again and cleaned all contact points reset the controller and Voila It worked !

so im a new member i have read and belive i followed all directions but have no 4x4 still. it is possibal that i may have done somthing wrong i tested the computer for the 4x4 and it blinked 4 times unpluged i hear clicking wile pushing the button up front for 4x and that happened before i repaided the shift moter also i have had this truck for 5 years and still have not had 4x4

Yes i started there i beleave it is electrical or due to my rebuilding skills yet i dont think it is. The rebuild was verry simple. Now with dig. The 4x computer and finding a broken stoper in both motors i was thinking a fuse but this being my wifes car and putting a new trans in the thing and by the that is one hellacious event stupid pinch weld sitting in the way and exaust also in the way. Short story long im trying not to spend too much and too much time on this beast that seams to disrespect me at every turn and cant recall where the 4x fuses are located as its not my rig and is rarely at a stop at least during light hours. So please im a seasoned mechanic with the age old dont wanna work on my old ladys car but after the snow we had i cant put it off. Any advice certice will be acceped and gratified. Just please dont send me to a sticky i have read espeicaly one with 99 pages i have gone threw all. For troubleshooting 4x4 to rebuilding your shift motor. Just as a heads up. Thanks and i hope i dont have to put another $600 like that dam auto tranz.

livinmendo, If you replaced the broken stop bumper within the shift motor and you're still getting "clicking" noises from the 4x4 computer in the trunk area it indicates an electrical problem. Most often the issues is that the Shift motor was not installed in EXACT position it was in. When this occurs the 4x4 computer is blind and doesn't know the position of the T-case selector shaft and will NOT shift the T-Case.

Try re-synching the shift motor.

To re-synch the shift motor:
Remove the shift motor and turn the T-case selector shaft to 4H. Reinstall the shift motor case and geared sensor (the long bolts won't initially align). Turn the shift motor so the bolts align and button it back up. When you turn the truck on the 4x4 system will see the position somewhere in between 2H and 4H. When you press 4x4 it will move to the correct position.

Back